Main Menu

E-Body Tire Sizes (what fits, what's too big, what looks good)

Started by Timbbuc2, October 16, 2017, 08:16:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

Will a 295/55-15 on 15x10 wheel with 5" BS fit under a 73 Cuda without moving/cutting/folding anything?  Stock rear end width, original springs, KYB shocks.

I think the width (11.6") should be OK, but worry about the tire height, which is almost 28" tall.  They should surely fill the wheel well up. 
Found a used set at an attractive price but it's a 5hr round trip and they aren't cheap enough that I wouldn't be ticked if they don't fit.

Shane Kelley

I can't say for a fact. But I don't think so. I have a 9" wide with a 275/40 17.  I had to trim the wheel lips to keep from rubbing and there is only a 1/2" clearance between the tire and leaf spring on the inside.   

Cratos

Hi all new guy here
anyway I have 1970 RT I am restoring going with the hemi 6 leafs to stand it up an inch or to. I want to put some 15x10 keystones on the rear and Nitto 295's if I can do it without having to cut or bend anything anyone running 15x10 without modding anything and if so what back spacing works best.?
thanks

HP2

Quote from: gzig5 on June 12, 2018, 08:58:28 AM
Will a 295/55-15 on 15x10 wheel with 5" BS fit under a 73 Cuda without moving/cutting/folding anything?  Stock rear end width, original springs, KYB shocks.

I think the width (11.6") should be OK, but worry about the tire height, which is almost 28" tall.  They should surely fill the wheel well up. 
Found a used set at an attractive price but it's a 5hr round trip and they aren't cheap enough that I wouldn't be ticked if they don't fit.

Probably not. That is a lot of rim in combination with a lot of tire and the springs will get in  the way.

This is a 295/65x15 mounted on a 8" rim with 4.5" backspace, against a stock spring in the stock location.  There is only about a 1/4" from the sidewall to the  rear segment of the spring. Tire height is no big deal. These are taller than the ones you rlooking at and they  had diameter clearance despite being  30" tall.

HP2

Quote from: Cratos on July 03, 2018, 08:02:09 AM
Hi all new guy here
anyway I have 1970 RT I am restoring going with the hemi 6 leafs to stand it up an inch or to. I want to put some 15x10 keystones on the rear and Nitto 295's if I can do it without having to cut or bend anything anyone running 15x10 without modding anything and if so what back spacing works best.?
thanks

First, reproduction Hemi leafs will not necessarily make your car sit higher.  The Hemi leaf design was made the way it was not for arch, but to control spring wrap. As designed, they are supposed to sit  almost flat when the car is on all four wheels. If you want arch, you have order  them from a  manufacturing that can do +1 or +2 to the stock specification to create the lift.

Second, the 15x10s. This is a lot of wheel and two problems tend to occur with 10" widths; first spring interference with backspaces over 5", which is what is needed to get the tire in under the wheel opening; second is most off the shelf wheels like Keystone and Cragar and other offer 15x10s with  backspace like 4 to 4.25, which shoves the tire way out into interference wheel opening. This is why air shocks were so popular in the '70s.

295s can fit. Heck 335s can fit in a Challenger. But you must have the spring out of the way and the correct backspace must be used. If you don't want to change anything, tried and true is a 275/60 on a 15x8. If you must have a 295,  it will only fit a stock suspension using an 8" rim and run at 25-27 psi.

dave73

Quote from: HP2 on July 03, 2018, 06:55:02 PM
Quote from: gzig5 on June 12, 2018, 08:58:28 AM

Probably not. That is a lot of rim in combination with a lot of tire and the springs will get in  the way.

This is a 295/65x15 mounted on a 8" rim with 4.5" backspace, against a stock spring in the stock location.  There is only about a 1/4" from the sidewall to the  rear segment of the spring. Tire height is no big deal. These are taller than the ones you rlooking at and they  had diameter clearance despite being  30" tall.

Are those air shocks? I love the look but know it's a no-no  :Stirring:

HP2

No air shocks and stock 4 leaf 318 springs. The shocks are gas charged Mopar racing shocks from the 1990s.  When you put a 30" tall tire under the rear  and a 235/60 (26" tall) on the front, no spring lift is necessary to get a lot of rake. I don't think BFG makes that size tire any  longer, but it had plenty of grip for near wheels up drag launches.

dave73

Quote from: HP2 on July 12, 2018, 07:26:05 PM
No air shocks and stock 4 leaf 318 springs. The springs are gas charged Mopar racing shocks from the 1990s.  When you put a 30" tall tire under the rear  and a 235/60 (26" tall) on the front, no spring lift is necessary to get a lot of rake. I don't think BFG makes that size tire any  longer, but it had plenty of grip for near wheels up drag launches.

So with a 1/4" clearance did you have any rubbing issues? I've been thinking about running 295 on my 8" wheels. I have stock ebody rear and spring location.

70pumpkin

Considering 17-inch aluminum rallyes from Coker or YearOne.  Please post some pics if you're running 17's, and please also provide tire info/sizes.  Thanks.

Shane Kelley

HP2

Quote from: dave73chally on July 15, 2018, 04:39:47 PM
Quote from: HP2 on July 12, 2018, 07:26:05 PM
No air shocks and stock 4 leaf 318 springs. The springs are gas charged Mopar racing shocks from the 1990s.  When you put a 30" tall tire under the rear  and a 235/60 (26" tall) on the front, no spring lift is necessary to get a lot of rake. I don't think BFG makes that size tire any  longer, but it had plenty of grip for near wheels up drag launches.

So with a 1/4" clearance did you have any rubbing issues? I've been thinking about running 295 on my 8" wheels. I have stock ebody rear and spring location.

Not with the springs. Drag radials are a very stable carcass. They do not grow and distort under power like a bias ply.

Cratos

so 285; on an 8 inch will be the biggest then without moving or cutting?

HP2

Quote from: Cratos on September 03, 2018, 09:58:51 AM
so 285; on an 8 inch will be the biggest then without moving or cutting?

275/60 on an 8" rim will fit fine at normal road pressures. 295/50 on a 9" rim will fit at normal road pressure. 295/50 on an 8" rim will fit, but normal road pressure will cause the center to wear faster than the shoulders. You have to run reduced pressure to get more tread on the ground, which puts more heat in the tire than normal pressure would.

Bpret

First picture P225/70R14 ALL AROUND. Second picture P235/6015 FRONT P255/60R15 REAR

Timbbuc2

Quote from: peterro on April 01, 2018, 09:49:40 AM
LT-III from ET Wheels. 17x8 with 4.75" BS Front. 18x9.5 with 5 1/8" BS Rear. Stock height. Had a little rubbing on the passenger side rear and rolled the lip enough to stop most of it. Could probably be done a bit more. I can update with tire info if interested.
I bought my tires and had them put on today.I only put the fronts on tomorrow the rear. I went with 235/60/15 on the front with 255/60/15 on the rear. Bought a set of T/A,
Get in, I'll drive