Main Menu

headlights quit

Started by k2steve, May 24, 2021, 09:39:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

k2steve

While going to Mopars in may the headlights flickered than went out. This was at 3 am. to get to show by 8 am. Did not make the show.

I can not find a reason for the loss of the lights? Is there a circuit breaker on a 70 Challenger?
New harnesses were  installed 2 years ago and switches were sent out for service. 
I have the switch panel out(Rally) , there is two power sources to the switch, the switch and dimmer on the floor check out good with a ohm meter as do the headlamp grounds.
The amp meter bypass was done with a volt meter replacement,
The Question is = is there a circuit breaker in the headlight wiring circuit and Where?

Thanks in advance  .....Steve

anlauto

One of my customers had this type of issue and it turned out to be the dimmer switch on the floor was stuck between positions and neither high or low beam would come on, he made a jumper wire from the power wire to the low beams, and was able to get home at least. Maybe unplug your switch and see if you have power going into it...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

k2steve

I'll go try that now, I will need to do some reassembly first.

72RoadRunnerGTX

Yes, there is a circuit breaker built into the switch.

k2steve

Thanks, I called Jim @ jsrestorations,

Sent the headlight switch to him for repair. Jim helped me test it and it failed.

Steve

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jay Bee

Quote from: k2steve on May 24, 2021, 06:34:33 PM
Jim helped me test it and it failed.

Can you share the test procedure. I'm curious if the procedure tests the internal circuit breaker somehow. I have a switch that cuts the headlights in & out. It's since been replaced but it be nice to have the procedure.

k2steve

[
Quote from: Jay Bee on May 25, 2021, 05:34:11 AM
Quote from: k2steve on May 24, 2021, 06:34:33 PM
Jim helped me test it and it failed.

Can you share the test procedure. I'm curious if the procedure tests the internal circuit breaker somehow. I have a switch that cuts the headlights in & out. It's since been replaced but it be nice to have the procedure.

With the head light switch removed, use a ohm meter across the two outboard terminals, when the the switch is closed (on position) the meter should read zero ohms. Mine had a reading of 20 ohms. The same test is done on the inside set of terminals for the parking lights.
Steve

Jay Bee