Main Menu

Master cylinder date decoding

Started by 72demon416, November 05, 2018, 08:49:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

72demon416

So now that winter has arrived I'm thinking that it's time to pull my master cyl for a resleeve job. I've got a 2229191 cylinder on my 440-6 Cuda and I'd just kind of like to know what the date on it is to know if there's a chance it came on my car new as a screw up or it has been replaced at some point in its life with the wrong one- but I don't know how to decipher the numbers on it.
On the side of the reservoir it's stamped: B 9195  20
                                                            3 29 B

I can't make out anything else on the bottom other than the part number if there is supposed to be something else there.

Do these numbers make sense and what do they translate to?

JH27N0B

2229191 is a hemi only master cylinder, I doubt it would have come on your car originally due to factory screw up.  Assuming you have power disc brakes, you'd have got a 2229171.
The top line is some factory part number for the casting or something like that, which all have the same. The bottom line is the date code.
The date code will be 4 numbers. One digit for the year, a space, then 3 digits for the day.
0 123 would be the 123rd day of 1970.  So one digit on yours is stamped faint or obscured by rust or grime.  Maybe 290th day of 1973 or 029th day of 73 or thereabouts. :alan2cents:

72demon416

It is for sure a 91 in the part number as I had a good look at it when I removed it for a (unsuccessful) rebuild last year but I'll have to sand the paint down on the side I guess to see what other number is hiding under there (there may have possibly been a 2 in front of the second row- just hard to tell when filled in with paint) . Thanks for the help for now!

JH27N0B

9191s are easy to differentiate from 9171s even if you can't make out the casting number, because they have a retaining bolt in a boss on the center of the bottom of the casting, whereas the 9171 does not.
Also, the 9191 has a 1-1/8" bore diameter, and the 9171 has a 1" bore.

72demon416

Yes, it has the boss with the bolt on the bottom. Being that's it's the rare cylinder- who would you recommend to resleeve it?

anlauto

I would recommend selling it and get the correct master cylinder for your car. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

xx88man

:iagree:  But do your research on what these master cylinders are worth. The correct one for your car would be a 9171 and they are rare and expensive. I am pretty sure the 9191 would be even more rare!  :thinking:
Keep yer foot in it

72demon416

Yes, I can certainly consider that option. I just did a quick search for a 171 cylinder but it doesn't seem like they are very plentiful either- or am I wrong?

1 Wild R/T

anlauto

They are both very hard to find. The 191 is worth $$$ more then the 171, maybe someone would trade?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

72demon416

Yeah... I'd be open to that. I could certainly sell this one but that still leaves me in a pickle without a replacement. I'd imagine there is a Hemi car somewhere out there that has my cylinder on it that would want this one.

What would my master be worth?- I rebuilt it last year but it there was a a couple rust pits I couldn't hone out so it would still need a resleeve.

JH27N0B

The 9191 is certainly more rare, but also much less in demand compared to 9171s.
I had an NOS 9191 with a '73 date code advertised on a few sites for $950 and it took quite a while to sell it.
Lots of people looking for '9171s all the time.
You might consider just rebuilding your 9191 and using it, from the top and sides it looks identical!
Brake and Equipment Warehouse in MN is the go to source for sleeving and rebuilding these.

72demon416

That's'more than likely what I'll do- just rebuild what I have- seems like less grief then trying to track down a 9171.
Thanks for the info!

6Pack70

I think there's a guy on forebodiesonly.com looking for that master cylinder for his 70 hemicuda.