Main Menu

Reassembling 8-3/4 and have a leaf spring question...

Started by 7E-Bodies, September 28, 2021, 11:23:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

So the rear differential is coming together nicely and is looking new, thanks in large part to a few in this forum and for Dr Diff. Before I completely assemble, I'm seeking some advice on the leaf springs. It's an original U code car, 64k miles, spent a long time sitting warehoused. A local suspension shop claims to do many old classics and has original specs for my spring arch measurements. One old guy on the phone even suggested adding a little arch for greater rake. Being a purist, I politely stated I wanted stock specs to which he agreed. Is there a way I could lay these out and get a measurement as to how far they've sagged (if any)? For reference, it has a 3.23 SG behind it's original (rebuilt) 727. Any and all advice appreciated.

Kevin
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

7E-Bodies

anlauto

If you want it the same a a factory spring, and ALL  factory springs are now 50 years old, I'm not sure what you would compare it to, because all the springs will sag over time  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

@anlauto that's exactly my point. Looking to get the factory specs or anyone's gauge methods as to tell how good mine are, as well as to keep any local shop honest. I'd rather not pay to have them done, then find it's ass sagging or too high when I assemble a year from now.