Main Menu

Need help: Rear drum brake locks up after driving for only 20 minutes

Started by 70pumpkin, February 05, 2024, 11:05:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

B5fourspeed

My friends el Camino had the issue that when he drove the car for awhile the right front wheel was super hot and when we stopped the wheel was frozen.We released the pressure to the wheel cylinder and the tire would spin.Replaced the rubber brake line to that wheel and problem solved.

tman

70pumpkin

Seems like the issue is related to the e-brake.  Drove around for a while, never applied the e-brake, got home and everything was fine -- wheel wasn't hot, no smell, nothing. 

70pumpkin

So, I've been driving without using the ebrake but yesterday, the wheel started getting warm.  I checked it one last time a few blocks away from the house when it locked up again!  Had to open the bleeder to release the brake.  My guess is that the brakes are just expanded to the point they lock up once they reach a certain temp -- the locking doesn't happen while the car is moving because the air is keeping it cooler? 

Now I'm wondering if I can make it my friend's shop who's 15 miles away (but mainly freeway) or if I should take it somewhere local.

jimynick

Is it possible that the shoe orientation is wrong? Trail vs lead shoe? 
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

toadstool

Also look at the rod that goes between the master cyl and the power brake booster. If this is too long then the pressure does not always bleed off the master cyl and this will happen. Just make sure there is an extra 1/16" spacing and you should be fine.
70 Cuda Convertible

70pumpkin

The rear brakes have not had any issues for years so something must have happened or changed.  So, I doubt that the shoes were installed wrong, etc.  I don't have much experience with drum brakes, so will have to take it in.  Would prefer going to my performance shop that's 15-20 miles away (but mainly freeway) -- what's the risk of something bad happening?

mtull

Quote from: 70pumpkin on March 12, 2024, 10:01:14 AMwhat's the risk of something bad happening?

Please consider having your car trailered over to your preferred shop.  The risk may not be worth whatever you think you're saving yourself. 

Thirty-five years ago a family related to a friend of mine lost their lives because the brakes in their SUV locked and wouldn't release leaving them stuck in the middle of busy and dangerous highway. Within a minute of the occurrence an eighteen wheeler plowed into the SUV killing the wife and children inside.  The husband wasn't with them but to this day wishes he could have been. 

I hate to post something so serious but on average there are over 100 traffic related deaths per day across the U.S.  Non of us want to earn or win that kind of lottery!

7212Mopar

May be back off both of the rear shoes with the adjusters so it is not dragging and use the front brakes only. Don't go fast and keep distance for stopping. To be safe, towing 20 miles should be covered by insurance anyway. Get a flat bed.

Have you take the drums apart to inspect? May be gummed up or rusted up not sliding easily. If master cylinder issue, I would think it will affect both sides.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

jimynick

Since it seemed to start as an emergency brake issue, I'd unhook the emerg cable and drive it- not too far nor fast.
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

70pumpkin

Tow the car - doh!  Insurance provides 50 miles of tow service - I pay for it, might as well use it! 

mtull

Quote from: 70pumpkin on March 13, 2024, 09:40:24 AMTow the car - doh!  Insurance provides 50 miles of tow service - I pay for it, might as well use it! 

Good choice. Hopefully they can diagnose the problem without playing guessing games.  Please keep us posted on any updates.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70pumpkin

Update.  Issue seems to have been fixed, but not sure what the root cause was - could have been many things.  My shop found the drums to be extremely gunked up so we decided to replace the wheel cylinders, springs, plugs, etc.  Also decided to replace the rear brake hose and lines to each cylinder.  We don't think the problem was due to the hose, since the hose serves both wheels.  Could have been something in the brake line to that wheel.  Or maybe just all the gunk in there that needed to be scraped and cleaned up.  Summit had all the necessary parts - they were very helpful and shipping was quick.

mtull

Quote from: 70pumpkin on April 26, 2024, 10:48:27 AMUpdate.  Issue seems to have been fixed
Quote from: 70pumpkin on April 26, 2024, 10:48:27 AMUpdate.  Issue seems to have been fixed, but not sure what the root cause was - could have been many things.  My shop found the drums to be extremely gunked up so we decided to replace the wheel cylinders, springs, plugs, etc.  Also decided to replace the rear brake hose and lines to each cylinder.  We don't think the problem was due to the hose, since the hose serves both wheels.  Could have been something in the brake line to that wheel.  Or maybe just all the gunk in there that needed to be scraped and cleaned up.  Summit had all the necessary parts - they were very helpful and shipping was quick.

Happy travels and congratulations!  Thank you for the update.