Main Menu

New set up Leaf-springs/rims

Started by Husk Challenger, October 16, 2017, 01:50:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Husk Challenger

hey guys,

Here is my current set up: Challenger 73 383ci, 14" rims 205/70 Front and 215/70 rear.
Tree adults in the car and my rear tires hit the fender on road bumper.
I guess my leaf spring and/or Rear shocks are worn.

I think my car is very low to. I have a very short clearance between the road and the clutch bellhousing about 2,4 inches. It's not very safe on bad roads....
From the floor to the top of wheel arch here are the lenght:
Rear right: 23.4 inches
Rear left:  23 inches
Front right: 23.2 inches
Front left: 23.4 inches

In the near futur i would like to change my rims for this set up: 15"x7 front and 15x8" rear  with 235/60 and 275/60 or 255/60.
I will also add two new KYB shocks at rear.

I contacted EPSO for new leaf springs and they offer me these choices:
5 leaf-springs or 6 leaf springs with (+1 +2") (-1 -2") or 0

I don't like when the rear is too high, but i don't want to rub with the new wheels.
What could be the best choice?

Thanks for your help
Challenger 73' 383ci 4spd ---> SOLD
Challenger 71' 318 904 RT clone ---> Stroker 318/392 Tf 727!

Shane Kelley

I think you should do the wheels and tires first and see how the car sits. That's a pretty small tire on a 14' rim. That will give you a better idea if you need to raise the car any. Good shocks will help from bottoming out. Personally I wouldn't use the KYB's. :alan2cents:  Honestly I like the Monroe gas shocks for a 78 3/4 ton Dodge truck. They work great and no they don't ride horrible like you would think. They actually ride pretty nice. I was running them on my Cuda before I switched to the Hotchkis but I am currently running them on my Road Runner. Pulled a set of new KYB's off that previous owner had installed. Completely different car after changing them. I swear the car felt like it floated around in the rear with the KYB's. 

Cuda Cody

Larger wheels would help.  Do you have a side view showing the stance?

anlauto

Quote from: Husk Challenger on October 16, 2017, 01:50:08 PM
hey guys,

Here is my current set up: Challenger 73 383ci, 14" rims 205/70 Front and 215/70 rear.
Tree adults in the car and my rear tires hit the fender on road bumper.
I guess my leaf spring and/or Rear shocks are worn.

What's a "Tree adult" ? :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

303 Mopar

I agree with @Shane Kelley, change to 15" wheels (if not 17") and tires first.  IMO, 14" wheels will always look small on e-bodies.  Also, KYB shocks are junk and ride REAL stiff.  Bilsteins are the best bang for your buck! 

Check out our new tire thread too for more ideas: https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/e-body-tire-sizes-what-fits-whats-too-big-what-looks-good/4016/

Chryco Psycho

I think you want stock ride height but with a higher spring rate shocks will slow & reduce the travel a bit but not change the ride height , better shocks will help though . The car will corner best with flat springs & low stance , also 215 wide tires should never hit the fender unless the offset is wrong , you can get a 275 wide tire in there easily .

Roadman

Needs transfer to " Tire sticky "   :rebelflag"

Husk Challenger

Thank you all for your help!

Quote from: Shane Kelley on October 16, 2017, 02:10:21 PM
Honestly I like the Monroe gas shocks for a 78 3/4 ton Dodge truck. They work great and no they don't ride horrible like you would think. They actually ride pretty nice. I

Shane, Do you have a reference for the monroe shocks, there are so many differents!

Quote from: anlauto on October 16, 2017, 03:47:24 PM
What's a "Tree adult" ? :looney:
Yes Alan, Groot took a ride in my car  :haha:

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 16, 2017, 03:55:26 PM
The car will corner best with flat springs & low stance
I would really like to keep a car with a good handle. I have a lot of small roads here.

Quote from: 303 Mopar on October 16, 2017, 03:48:43 PM
Bilsteins are the best bang for your buck! 
Check out our new tire thread too for more ideas: https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/e-body-tire-sizes-what-fits-whats-too-big-what-looks-good/4016/
Perfect timing with the new thead!

Quote from: Cuda Cody on October 16, 2017, 03:26:02 PM
Larger wheels would help.  Do you have a side view showing the stance?
14" with skinny tires.... Definetly need to change them!
Are the pictures correct Cody?

I will take the wheels first. 255/60 looks like a good compromise for what i would like.
As for the shocks i keep in mind, Monroe and Bilstein.
Do you ever try Koni Shocks? They are easy to find here in Europe.

Thanks, havea good day.

Chryco Psycho

Koni has a great reputation but I have never used them on a Challenger
Bilstein is probably the best non adjustable choice
Monroe are just a cheap replacement shock ,
QA1 is better if you want an adjustable shock
I would avoid BFGarbage tires at all cost , there are other options such as Cooper Cobras , Dean Stinger Dayton may still make tires the correct size too , going to a 15" wheel will help
If you go to 17 " wheels this will open up a lot more choices for good quality tire that will fit  .
You may want to look at Composit leaf spring like Brad used in his challenger also .
Thanks for the extra pic of the whole car

61K T/A

Also, Hotchkis sells Fox adjustable shocks

Fern

Looks like espo make the most popular springs.
What makes it difficult to order 0 +1 or +2 is there's no way to know what stock ride height is to judge from.
Maybe be good to have members ( who bought espo) to take picts of the new springs with the ride height to learn from?
Maybe be a great reference.

shawge

1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

303 Mopar

Quote from: Fern on October 17, 2017, 03:27:28 AM
Looks like espo make the most popular springs.
What makes it difficult to order 0 +1 or +2 is there's no way to know what stock ride height is to judge from.
Maybe be good to have members ( who bought espo) to take picts of the new springs with the ride height to learn from?
Maybe be a great reference.

On a Cuda the stock springs look good, on a Challenger the rear will sag like the stock factory look. I have seen a stock ESPO spring on a Challenger and the guy wished he would have went +1".  I went +1" on my '68 Charger and it is perfect to me.  I would suggest going with +1" springs, 17" wheels with a good size tire.

dave73

My setup has changed a few times in the past 2 years....
#1 - stock springs, extended shackles, 14" wheels (how I bought it)
#2 - stock springs, extended shackles, front 15x17 235/60 rear 15x8 275/60
#3 - ESPO 1.5"over stock,  front 15x17 235/60 rear 15x8 275/60
#4 - Hotchkis springs,  torsion bars cranked way down, front 15x17 235/60 rear 15x8 275/60

Husk Challenger

Thanks for the informations!

Very clear with set up and pics.