Main Menu

Power steering bleeding

Started by fireguyfire, May 28, 2019, 11:46:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

What is the best way to bleed air out of my power steering system after reinstalling my steering gearbox after a rebuild?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussiemark

I normally just turn the steering from full lock to full lock a few times and top up the fluid when done.

Brads70

:iagree: good idea to do so with the front wheels off the ground. Then you can also see/adjust if necessary the centering valve.

Daveh

Yep the easiest bleeding in a car is the power steering.  Lock to lock with the wheels up and then check the fill level and your good. 

anlauto

Engine running or not running ? :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

72 Challenger

Do it slowly at first!

or the fluid can overflow from the reservoir as the air escapes. I speak from experience!

Someday I will have a J0b.

Mrbill426

Chryco Psycho

it will usually foam so you have to top it up after the air separates out

anlauto

Quote from: Mrbill426 on May 29, 2019, 05:55:12 AM
Running

Quote from: anlauto on May 29, 2019, 05:49:28 AM
Engine running or not running ? :dunno:

Yea I kinda thought that was an important thing to leave out... :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoodysGotaCuda

I also prefer to do this with the tie rods disconnected from the knuckle or the pitman arm. That way you ensure that you are getting the full stroke on the box and not stopping at the knuckle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

aussiemark

Was servicing a truck a while ago and forgot to put the lid back on the reservoir when I started the engine the power steering fluid shot up in the air about 3 feet like a fountain made a mess everywhere.

floorit426

How much fluid should be put in the reservoir, initially and how much does a system hold?

Chryco Psycho

1 qt is enough , there should be a dipstick in the cap

aussiemark

Fill it to the full mark once the air is bled out the level will drop then just top it up.

kawahonda

I did all this without front wheels off the ground.....on the ground is damn fine too....power steering will do its thing....

I used transmission fluid....I think that's what's called for in the FSM. Dex III.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66