Main Menu

Rally Wheel Date Code Question

Started by b5cuda, December 14, 2018, 03:28:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

b5cuda

Hello guys, I have a set of 15X7 rally wheels with date code of May 1, 1970.  Would those have come on a '70, '71, or either year? 

Cuda Cody

1971 most likely I would think, but not 100% sure.  @6bblgt

Floyd

I think they would work on late 1970 cars as well.  What's the general cutoff for 70s?  July-Aug?

Cuda Cody

Yes, I think you are right.  Could have been a late 1970 car too.  I think they switched over the plant for the new model line in the 1st two weeks of Aug so I think the last of the 1970 cars would have rolled down the line the last week of July.  That means these wheels were stamped May 1st and would have needed some time to be mounted and put on a car so I would say June or July of 1970 might be okay.

b5cuda

Thanks guys, that was my guess.  Date codes won't really matter for my restomod project but I got to wondering if these might be helpful for someone who's doing a factory correct restoration. 

anlauto

Odd date...would be a very late build 70 or an extremely early build 71 model....

A common "rule of thumb" ... parts should be dated within 90 days prior of your car's build date....but that's a VERY loose thumb :alan2cents: so that would put you around May 1st to Aug 1st  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

750-h2

My car had a 09/Dec/69 SBD and all four 15 x 7 rallye wheels have a build date of 08/Dec/69.  Wheels are the originals.

6bblgt

from what I've seen for 1970, wheels are very close to actual production date
I'd consider these 5/1/70 wheels too early for my mid-July '70 Challenger R/T

imagine the volume of wheels for Hamtramck 1970, ~1500 cars a day (7500 wheels - train/truck loads of wheels in & finished cars out each day) no space to warehouse/store wheels

I'm sure some slow movers & sloppy inventory controls caused some larger date ranges, but I'd bet they aren't the norm

anlauto

:iagree: especially if they came into the assembly plate with tires mounted...that would take a lot of space...

When I worked at a tier one supplier Chrysler's Brampton assembly plate, we would stamp quarter panels on Monday that were welded on a car by Wednesday....real dangerous when you find a quality issue... :o
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

6bblgt

wheels & tires were mounted in-house at Hamtramck, MI
15x7" rallyes from Motor Wheel Corp. Lansing, MI
E60-15 & F60-15 POLYGLAS GTs from Goodyear Tire & Rubber Akron, OH

anlauto

Quote from: 6bblgt on December 14, 2018, 07:26:17 PM
wheels & tires were mounted in-house at Hamtramck, MI
15x7" rallyes from Motor Wheel Corp. Lansing, MI
E60-15 & F60-15 POLYGLAS GTs from Goodyear Tire & Rubber Akron, OH

Cool...good to know  :twothumbsup: makes sense I guess

b5cuda

You guys are the best - thanks for the education!