Main Menu

Rallye 15-inch trim rings summary

Started by 70pumpkin, November 12, 2019, 12:37:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70pumpkin

I'm looking to switch to 15-inch rims and have been doing a lot of research on finding correct trim rings for them.  So I figured it would be useful to capture all the various discussions in one thread.

The key questions for me are what after-market rallye wheels are best (Wheel Vintiques, US Wheel, Coker) and what trim rings come the closest to original for 15x7 and 15x8 rims?  Afaik, no one does and there will be a gap with 15x8 rims.

I currently have the 14-inch brushed trim rings.  One forum post said 1970 came with polished and 1971 with brushed - I'm the second owner and afaik, these are original to my 70.  Can someone confirm or deny?

Reading through a ton of various threads, it seems that the available repro trim rings have the wrong profile and/or don't fully seat into the wheel, resulting in an undesirable gap.  I've filtered what I think are the most helpful links so people don't have to search.

Wheel Vintiques, Coker, YearOne, OER links to trim rings:

750-h2

Thanks for all your hard work! It will be a great time saver for anyone searching for wheels or trim rings. :banana:

6bblgt

the brushed VS polished trim ring description is in reference to 15" parts

the 14" trim ring is the same 1970-1980 for "rallye" & "road" wheels (14x5.5" & 14x6.0") - they are brushed w/a polished lip

anlauto

Maybe moved to the reference section and maybe a sticky ? @Cuda Cody
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

kathyscuda

in the end orig 222"s are hard to find.i bought 9 of them in Carlisle this july. stickers still attached which helps.
rick miller is straightening a set for me.
just to have. never know when a set will be needed.

70pumpkin

So, which 15-inch rims are recommended?  Ones from Wheel Vintiques, U.S. Wheel, or Coker - or are they all the same? 

And if I don't want to spend a ton on original trim rings, which ones are the best to get?

Bossgold

I posted on a set of Wheel Vintiques 3003-B and I would caution on this purchase. Not that they are bad....they are nice looking but they are only 2.5 inches wide. So they all say they are 15X7 but some vary in inside width. I am going to go to Classic Industries Today and See there OER version. OER MP500668 - 1969-76 Mopar A-B-E Bodies With California Chrome 15 X 7" Or 15 X 8" Trim Wheel Ring Set (3" Deep). Problem is they are really shiny and not brushed.  So wheel Vintiques and OER are in my back yard....WV  made the comment that they make their Trim rings to their Specifications. And I'll show Classic an original and see what they say....

70pumpkin

Great.  Looking forward to what you find out!

Challenger in NC

Anyone have feedback on these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Mopar-dodge-dodge-15-inch-rally-wheel-trim-rings-3002-AM-15/362798082933

They are 2-3/4" tall.

I know there are probably numerous differences from the originals and the price of $110 incl. shipping makes you wonder, but since I'm not restoring a rare car, maybe this is the way to go?

roguedc72

I have wheel vintique repro rallys on my challenger, 15x8 front and 15x10 rears, I'm thinking that it's going to be impossible to find trim rings that would look right on the rears, 5 1/2 back spacing but still  pretty deep on the outside

Ns1aar

On my AAR I have 15x7 on the front and 15x8 on the back. The trim rings on the front are 15x6.5  and the rears are 15x7 the gaps are the same and unless you look close you don't see the difference.

roguedc72

I bought a set of 15 inch trim rings for wheel vintique rally's that the seller said would fit 15x8 wheels, no good, the inside of the trim ring,the side that goes toward the wheel center,is too small, like the barrel of the rim is a smaller diameter, and all 15 inch trim rings are the same I assume,so it looks I'm running rally's with no rings.

dylo

Quote from: 6bblgt on November 12, 2019, 01:22:41 PM

the 14" trim ring is the same 1970-1980 for "rallye" & "road" wheels (14x5.5" & 14x6.0") - they are brushed w/a polished lip

Do you know the correct depth of the 14" trim ring by any chance?

6bblgt

flat on a table, height is around 2-1/4" tall - face of trim ring is just under 2-3/8" - valve stem holes are pretty unique