Main Menu

rear bilsteins

Started by mopar jack, June 01, 2018, 07:33:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mopar jack

Purchased Bilsteins front and rear from firm feel and the rears are way to long to function properly and  The upper mount doesn't fit the cross member. Am I the only one with these problems? What are you guys doing to make the Bilsteins work?

Cuda Cody

I've not used Bilsteins on any of my E-Bodies, but I've used them on other cars and they are awesome!!  Are you sure you got the right ones?

1 Wild R/T

I got the ones for a lowered car, Bought them from Hotchkis back when they were selling them & the salesman mentioned that unless your car has the stink bug stance which many seem to like then the standard Bilstiens are to long.... And yes the bushings they supply suck... I had some spare bushings that fit perfectly....  It's lame that they got the details wrong cause they ride & handle great....

mopar jack

Guess I'll buy some cheap shocks and pull the upper bushings to fit the top of the shock. When I first installed them I just stated tightening the upper bolt and after a lot of wrenching I realized I was crushing the shock cross member. Called Firm feel and get the well you gotta kinda message, modify, use spacers to make them fit! Really $100 per shock and I have to engineer to fit. I have  been chasing a rear suspension noise on bumpy roads and finally pulled the the rear shocks. The shock only has 2 inches of travel before it bottoms out.

Brads70

Ya I remember when I had Bilstiens and having to machine up the tubes that go in the upper bushing. I was also annoyed at having to do that. In my case they were on for a few weeks then sold them as they couldn't keep up with the composite leaf springs. 

303 Mopar

Possibly another option is to return the rear Bilsteins and get a set of Fox shocks from Hotchkis.  I have them on my Cuda and love em!

RUNCHARGER

Hmm: I thought they were supposed to be the hot setup, I guess not.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Oh, I still think they work very well, just missed a detail.....   Thing is Bilstein doesn't build these for Mopar's, RCD takes an existing Bilstein based on engineering specs & does minor rework to make them work.....     The length issue isn't really an issue, Jack just has the wrong shocks, He got the stink bug equipped shocks.... The bushing is a known issue & not hard to correct...

I don't like that you have to rework them but being a long term Mopar guy I'm use to it & accept it.... At least once I rework the bushing & install the shocks I gain ride & handling.... To many times I've reworked stuff only to be less than happy with what I get in return...

Brads70

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 02, 2018, 08:00:18 AM
Hmm: I thought they were supposed to be the hot setup, I guess not.

I'd say they are the top stock style ( non adjustable) shock for our cars( and for the money), as Wild R/T  said they missed the boat with the hardware kit.  Mopar's and handling is a relatively new idea  so we have to make do with adapting stuff made for GM's. I had to McGiver the QA1's as well.  :tired:

YellowThumper

Good to know as I have been about to purchase some.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

RUNCHARGER

Ah okay: With Wild's advice they seem like a pretty good setup then. I would like to try a set on the next Challenger I think.
Sheldon

GCragtop

I have purchased several sets of Bilsteins directly from FFI for B and E-bodys, never any problems.

mopar jack

You know  1 Wild R/T is right on about making things work for a Mopar and I've got a solution for the shocks being to long. The 70 challenger  shock plate has a lower mounting point for the shock and will give me the 3-4 inches of travel I need. Thanks to Dodge 33 for donating a set of mounts I'll be able to reinstall my Bilsteins.

RayL

Hi Guys. Looks like I'm about 6 years late to the party on this one. I thought I'd made a fully informed decision when I purchased a set of Bilstein RCD shocks for my '73 Challenger. Nope. Completely missed the known problem of their supplied bushings being too short for the rear upper mount (OEM are about 1.610" long, RCD supplied are about 5/16" too short).

Are there better options than drilling/cutting/burning out and reusing the bushings from the old shocks? And what keeps the shock centered on the bushing once installed?

PLUM72

I purchased a set of Bilsteins from Firm Feel earlier this spring (P/N: 55-R093).  They are on my Challenger and seem fine...no install issues at all.
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger