Main Menu

Rear suspension 70 Challenger

Started by Mopar5, September 01, 2019, 08:24:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopar5

Happy labor day to everyone! Looking for some advice, I am waiting on my leaf springs to arrive and will be installing my rear axle and new leaf springs,I will also be working by myself. My question is what is the easiest way to assemble the rear end? Should I install the springs first then bolt on the axle housing? Or can I install the springs onto the axle tube first and install the whole thing as one assembly. Just looking for the easiest way . Thanks in advance

Katfish

Install as 1 assembly.
Put everything together then jack up the axle and connect the leaf springs.

Dakota

I didn't have the rear wheels available or a stable way to jack up the whole assembly at once, so I did each spring individually, then swung the axle into place from in between the springs.  I was really concerned about one of the spring ends moving unexpectedly if I brought it all in at once and damaging my paint.  All that said, the way Katfish describes it would be more efficient.

RUNCHARGER

I've done them both ways. Both work. I suppose there is less chance of scratching/gouging the frame by doing one spring at a time (mounting in the front), then mount the rear axle to the springs and then jacking it all up and catching the back shackles.
Sheldon

anlauto

You guys would laugh out loud if you saw how I do it.....and I've done it this way dozens of times...

I have two 3ft axle stands that I support the rear of the car with....
I fully assemble the rear axle, brakes, cables, hose, brake drums even...
Then with the car set up at a pretty decent height I attach the passenger side spring at the front perch
Place the rear axle assembly on one of my shop stools....way more sturdy and balanced then on a floor jack
Easily roll it under the car from the side...
Put the driver's side spring in place, hook up the rear shackle as well
Lift the spring in place and hook up the PS rear shackle
Lower the rear axle in place and do up the U bolts
Done in a matter of minutes :)

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mopar5

Bullitt-

Did mine as a single unit, the same way I took it out.....  Left the new U-Bolts loose

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

anlauto

Doing it that way, definitely leave the U bolts loose, to allow everything to square up....Good advice :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

750-h2

Like usual I did mine in an unusual manner, but it was quick and easy even with the rear valance in place. Before I started the car was already jacked up a couple feet off the ground. I placed the Dana 60 pumpkin on a floor jack and rolled it under the car approx. in the right position. I then jacked up the differential so it would not interfere with the leaf springs. I also supported the dif. axle tubes with two axle stands. The leaf springs were then installed mounting the rear first. I then simply lowered the diff. onto the springs and bolted on the U bolts.  20 minute job tops!