Main Menu

removing steering box

Started by mjb765, January 21, 2017, 12:55:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

I'm maybe 5 minutes from Firm Feel if anyone needs to help with anything.   :bigthumb:

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 21, 2017, 07:52:11 PM
I'm maybe 5 minutes from Firm Feel if anyone needs to help with anything.   :bigthumb:

Sure can you grab about 2-3 power steering boxes for me and put them in your "carry-on" when you come to Carlisle 8) :P
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mjb765

Quote from: 303 Mopar on January 21, 2017, 04:13:00 PM
Quote from: mjb765 on January 21, 2017, 04:09:04 PM
was thinking stage II.....should I re-think?

Yes, go Stage III!  I did it on my Charger and it is a big difference and not too tight at all.  I've heard several guys that went with Stage II and wish they went III.    :bigthumb:

great...more decisions......

cataclysm80

Here's another vote for Firm Feel Stage III.
It's not even close to being to firm for me.  My car is regularly street driven.  I'd say it has roughly the same feel as a newer car.

mjb765

OK..Got the box out...thanks for the help everybody.

Firm feel stage III will be ordered tomorrow. Also thinking about the fast ratio pitman and idler arms.

headejm

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 21, 2017, 01:08:23 PM
Do you have the steering column loose?  It needs to be free so you don't collapse the steering shaft.

Cody, can you elaborate on this comment? Your "don't collapse the steering shaft" comment has me worried as I contemplate removing my gearbox to have it rebuilt by FF.   :thankyou:

Cuda Cody

His coupler was aftermarket so it didn't look like it had any room to move up the steering column shaft without putting pressure on the shaft pins.  Stock couplers have room to move.  So wanted him to be careful not to damage his steering shaft pins.

You can see the steering shaft pins at the 16:27 mark of this video:

https://youtu.be/49L2sIR9OYc

Quote from: headejm on January 22, 2017, 09:59:32 AM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 21, 2017, 01:08:23 PM
Do you have the steering column loose?  It needs to be free so you don't collapse the steering shaft.

Cody, can you elaborate on this comment? Your "don't collapse the steering shaft" comment has me worried as I contemplate removing my gearbox to have it rebuilt by FF.   :thankyou:

HP_Cuda

Interesting coupler there on a stock box.

FF fast ratio arms on a stage III box, hmm maybe give a jingle to FF and see if it's what you expect.

:alan2cents:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

mjb765

Quote from: HP_Cuda on January 22, 2017, 11:03:22 AM
Interesting coupler there on a stock box.

FF fast ratio arms on a stage III box, hmm maybe give a jingle to FF and see if it's what you expect.

:alan2cents:

Was going to call  them tomorrow to ask.

headejm

Firm Feel offers three Stages of "feel" on their power steering gear boxes. Some mopar guys shim their Saginaw power steering pump's flow valve to also improve "feel". My question: What is the optimum set-up for the gear box and/or power steering pump to give the best "feel"? I'm going to send my stock gearbox to FF and I have some of the shim washers for my stock Saginaw pump. I'm sure I can experiment with the shims but I will need to tell FF which stage of gear box I want.  :notsure:

303 Mopar

Quote from: mjb765 on January 22, 2017, 09:52:48 AM

Firm feel stage III will be ordered tomorrow. Also thinking about the fast ratio pitman and idler arms.

Make sure the fast ratio pitman arm will work with your set up (engine, headers, etc).

mjb765

Quote from: 303 Mopar on January 22, 2017, 12:49:20 PM
Quote from: mjb765 on January 22, 2017, 09:52:48 AM

Make sure the fast ratio pitman arm will work with your set up (engine, headers, etc).

Yep..thanks......my 383 has stock manifolds on it.

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on January 21, 2017, 07:19:41 PM
Another vote for Stage III  :perfect10:

and another vote for stage 3 and the fast ratio arms while your at it!  :yes:

I wonder if that coupler has something to do with why your box was leaking? The stock set up allows for some flex in and out. That u-joint does not? I mention this as I'd hate to see you install the FF box then develop a leak down the road?

cataclysm80

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 22, 2017, 10:14:12 AM

That's a nice video Cody.
Where can I get one of those wiring tools to disconnect the metal wiring end from the plastic bit?

Cuda Cody

@cataclysm80  I think this is the kit I have, but there's lots of them out there that do the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-57750-Wire-Terminal-Tool/dp/B007WQQHA2

Quote from: cataclysm80 on January 22, 2017, 08:06:16 PM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 22, 2017, 10:14:12 AM

That's a nice video Cody.
Where can I get one of those wiring tools to disconnect the metal wiring end from the plastic bit?