Main Menu

Removing the wire cover on the steering column

Started by erik70rt, April 12, 2017, 06:38:04 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

I have to replace the turn signal switch on my Challenger.  When trying to get the wire cover off, the screws only turn like they are stripped.  Any tips on getting these out without damaging the wire cover?  Column is still in the car as I don't want to tear it apart completely.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Cuda Cody

The bracket that holds the column in the car goes over the wire cover so it needs to be removed or loosened up to get the wire cover out.  The wire cover is held in with 2 Phillips screws.  If they are stripped out then you'll just need to apply a little pressure under the lip of the screw while you turn it so it will back off and come out.  Then you might want to go to a slightly larger screw when you install it so it holds.

Video #2 will help you with the process:

https://www.e-bodies.org/videos/

erik70rt

I've got it all ripped apart except for the two Phillips screws (watched the video a while ago LOL).  I tired to get some more pressure on them but wasn't having much success.  I may have to cut/grind the heads off if I can't get them out with pressure.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Cuda Cody

The screws are pretty small.  You should be able to get a strong putty knife under there and push up while turning them.    :fingerscrossed:

1 Wild R/T

You should be able to pry under the cover to put pressure on the screw....