Main Menu

source for pin to connect parking brake cable to parking brake lever? Found it!

Started by Dakota, August 28, 2020, 01:10:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

I'm missing the part that pins the end of the parking brake cable to the parking brake lever mechanism under the dash.   I do have the clamp that locks the cable exterior in position on the lever mechanism.  If someone has a picture or a source of the pin or whatever it is that I need, I'd be grateful.   I've had no hits on eBay or Google which probably means I don't have the right name for it.

I'm guessing this is a short clevis pin, but I'm self-quarantined for another week due to recent travel in a Covid "hotspot", so I can't snoop around the local hardware store for a bit.

This parking brake is for a 70 Challenger but I have to believe this is a common approach for multiple Mopars. 

Thanks.

anlauto

When you find a source post it here please, I've been looking for awhile...In the past I've ended up using bolt/nut, grinding the head and nut down really thin...PITA...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dakota

Quote from: anlauto on August 28, 2020, 01:39:00 PM
When you find a source post it here please, I've been looking for awhile...In the past I've ended up using bolt/nut, grinding the head and nut down really thin...PITA...

Yeah, tried that route and ended up cutting the bolt a little too short.   Thought I'd try to find the "right" part before I burn more time with the grinder.

BillyB

It just so happens I am installing this very thing in my Challenger tonight :D

It's a grooved clevis pin, but it seems to be non-standard in size. 5/16" diameter, 7/16" head, about .400" - .500" effective length, .600" total length. I cannot find it available anywhere.

Uses a push-on retainer like this: https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/5-16-Stud-Flat-Push-On-Retainer-5-8-O-D-p/a8869.htm

Dakota

I tried again on the shaved down nut and bolt approach. It worked this time.  I think I spent more time on this fastener than any other in the car so far. 

Using a caliper really helped.  Some measurements:

A bolt length (including the head) of 0.675" fits inside my housing.   This leaves a little room but not much (0.750" is definitely too long). 

The bolt head was cut down to 0.125" and the nut 0.170".

The coupler for the parking brake cable is 0.500" thick where the pin goes through.

I set the length for the bolt using a sacrificial nut as a guide with the caliper, then held them with a wrench.   

A cut off wheel worked much better (faster) than a grinding wheel. 

I got some Loctite on the threads to hold the nut in place.  Fingers crossed here. 

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

73_Cuda_4_Me

Just a bit pricey for a clevis pin, but when you don't have many options....
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Dakota

:veryexcited:

I was cleaning up in my shop a bit today and found the missing pin in a tray where it's sat undisturbed for probably 7 years.  Thanks @BillyB for describing yours so well.  I wouldn't have recognized what it was without your details. 

With my spare-every-expense Harbor Freight caliper, the pin measures 0.693" long including the thickness of the head.  There's a 0.510" gap between the bottom of the head and the groove for the ring. The head is 0.110" thick and .0440" in diameter. 

anlauto

Scooter

Quote from: anlauto on August 29, 2020, 09:12:26 AM
After all that messing around :headbang:  don't you hate that :pullinghair:

Yes and no. That's a story he'll be telling for years...lol.

Dakota

Quote from: Scooter on August 29, 2020, 10:12:11 AM
Quote from: anlauto on August 29, 2020, 09:12:26 AM
After all that messing around :headbang:  don't you hate that :pullinghair:

Yes and no. That's a story he'll be telling for years...lol.

I swapped in the correct part.  It took all of about 5 minutes.   I'm choosing to be happy that I found the correct part.   

If I ever approach my wife about doing another project car, I will point to this event to demonstrate how much I've learned and how much more quickly the next one would go.    Her first reaction will probably look like this :stop:

I'll happily send my now homeless "custom" nut and bolt to anyone here that might want it.   Just PM me.

GoMangoBoys

I want to say that this thread was a lifesaver for me.  The suggestion to buy the McMaster Carr part AND the posting of the ACTUAL dimensions of the original pin made my effort a success.