Main Menu

Steering Column Nylon Bearing question

Started by Aloha Randy, April 20, 2022, 07:10:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Aloha Randy

I have a 70 Challenger, 383 with 727 automatic. On the lower end of the steering column tube where the interlock lever is, there is a nylon bearing that has a valley on the outer circumference. The metal tube has two cut outs that look to receive a spring clip to hold the bearing in place. Mine does not have anything. I cannot find a parts breakdown to show what is really there and hopefully and way to identify it for purchase. Can anyone help verify what holds the bearing in place and maybe where to find one? Thanks in advance!

jimynick

i believe there is a thread where you can change out the fail-prone plastic bushing for a metal bearing that fits the shaft and also fits into the jacket. I bought one of those bearings ages ago because my Challenger has the plastic bushing falling out as well. Good luck with it!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

anlauto

This clip goes on the outside of the tube in those three slots. The bushing has a slot in the middle which the clip rests in... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Aloha Randy

Thats what I thought. Any idea where I might find one of these?

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

anlauto

That's cool, never knew James was making the foam seals too ! :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Blowout

Following, think I might be in the same boat.

usraptor

I did the bearing swap out that Dakota referenced and I'm really happy with it.  I highly recommend it,