Main Menu

Steering Coupler Body - Does it get grease?

Started by BigmanjbMOPAR, January 14, 2021, 05:24:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

You will have to press it outwards before reassembly. It's pretty easy, I use a set of common pliers with 2 screwdrivers on either side of the little pin to space the plier jaw up. Then just squeeze it outwards.
Sheldon

mopar jack

BigmanjbMopar, when you get the coupling cleaned I would test fit it to the input shaft. I have had two steering boxes that needed a little touch up with a file on the splines.

1 Wild R/T

As most everyone knows the coupler only goes one on way, there's a missing spline that has to be lined up...  What a lot of people don't seem to know is there is an alignment mark to help you line it up since you can't see the missing spline inside the coupler...   There is a notch on the outside of the coupler body that identifies the missing spline, line that up with the spline on the shaft....

If your really paying attention there is also a hole in the steering shaft that also lines up with the notch in the coupler so you don't install the coupler body 180 degrees out...   And that also lines up with the missing spline where the steering wheel attaches...

BigmanjbMOPAR

70 Cuda Project Purple Book

mopar jack

Need to see a pic looking down on the shaft with the wheels pointed straight and the shaft centered. When you tighten the column you want to center the shaft  in the tube. Why do you have the motor mount on the k frame?

BigmanjbMOPAR

Previous owner supplied the mounts so we were mocking them up to see how they would fit with new rubber. 340 car getting a 383.
70 Cuda Project Purple Book