Main Menu

Subframe connectors

Started by nsmall, January 21, 2017, 11:09:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cataclysm80

Yeah, I was just wondering about subframe connectors and T/A exhaust a couple hours ago.

Are the connectors really in the way? 
The side exit exhaust hanger mounts to the rear of the torque box.
The torque box doesn't get in the way of the side exhaust pipe, and it doesn't look like the subframe connectors stick up any further than the torque box.

If it's a tight fit, maybe you could shape them with a relief for the exhaust, similar to what was done for the parking brake cable?

Cuda Cody

Just took a peak and @cataclysm80 is right.  It should fit and maybe all you have to do is make a small adjustment to the shape.  I would say go for it! 

303 Mopar

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 30, 2017, 10:02:26 AM
Just took a peak and @cataclysm80 is right.  It should fit and maybe all you have to do is make a small adjustment to the shape.  I would say go for it!

The issue is the side exhaust already hangs low, and mine is right in front of the frame rail.  If you mount it below the frame rail, or on a torque box which is about the same height as the bottom of the frame rail, the exhaust would hang even lower. 

I know that the Hotchkis Challenger E-Max has side exhaust and they originally mounted it below their subframe connectors and it was really low.  I talked with John at Hotchkis and he explained they reconfigured the exhaust through a muffler that basically has a 90 degree side exit and now the exhaust is behind the frame rail and closer to the rear tire.  I think the only way around this is mounting the subframe connectors first (as suggested) and then having a muffler shop configure a custom set up.

Cuda Cody

Those ones stick down really LOW.  The custom ones I made are no lower then the rear torque boxes.  That would be the way to do it.  Keep it tapering and no lower the the rear torque boxes.   :alan2cents:

cataclysm80

Looks like those yellow cars have been lowered a lot.
I bet ground clearance is just as much of a problem as the subframe connectors. 
If you're going that low, maybe rear exit exhaust would be better, or maybe cut some custom reliefs into the body.

61K T/A

What about cutting through the floor in front of the exhaust and fab the rest for the sfc under the rear seat? Maybe half above and half below the floor depending on room.  :thinking:

cataclysm80

Quote from: 61K T/A on January 31, 2017, 05:02:06 AM
What about cutting through the floor in front of the exhaust and fab the rest for the sfc under the rear seat? Maybe half above and half below the floor depending on room.  :thinking:

That wouldn't be under the rear seat, it would be where the rear passengers feet go.
Here's the bottom of a car.

cataclysm80

I wanted to be more sure of how side exit Trans Am exhaust would fit with subframe connectors, so I grabbed a new exhaust tip from the parts stash and went over to a car to take some pics. 

The plate that the leaf spring hanger mounts to (in between the subframe and the rocker panel) sticks down below the rocker pinch weld.
The rear torque box is welded to that leaf spring plate, along with subframe, rocker panel, and the floor pan, so it also sticks down below the rocker pinch weld.
Similarly, the bracket that holds the exhaust tip, sticks down below the rocker pinch weld.

(I had to hold up the other end of the exhaust tip with one finger since this car doesn't have Trans Am mufflers installed right now.)

cataclysm80

No leaf springs installed on this car right now, so it's up on jack stands.

The exhaust tip has to be low enough to clear the plate that the leaf spring hanger mounts to.  The factory design accomplishes this.
The torque box is welded to that plate which holds the leaf spring hanger.
You can have torque boxes with the side exit exhaust.  T/A & AAR were all supposed to come with factory torque boxes, so no problem there.

Cuda Cody

Great photos @cataclysm80   :clapping:  Looks like it can be done for sure!

cataclysm80

I was interrupted by some other tasks.   Here's a few more pics...

Here's a pic of where the side exit exhaust tip passes the torque box and subframe.

(sorry I couldn't take the pic from further away, the car is only so high off the ground  :) )

cataclysm80

This is the exhaust tip held up into position where it should go.
There isn't much clearance between the exhaust tip and the torque box, but there is some, which seems to be as the factory intended.
I notice that the black tubing of the exhaust tip has a flat spot on the top side.  You can see it in this pic.
The flat spot helps with clearance.

To me, it looks like side exhaust would fit fine with subframe connectors IF the subframe connectors don't stick down any lower than the subframe / torque box.   
Custom built subframe connectors like Cody's should be fine, but other companies pre-made connectors might have issues if they didn't consider side exit exhaust in their design.
IF there were a clearance issue between the side exit exhaust tip and subframe connectors like Cody's, I would suggest flattening a spot on the top of the black tube of the exhaust tip, since that's what the factory did for clearance.

cataclysm80

Knowing all of this, I'm seriously considering adding some custom made subframe connectors to this car when the time comes.

Should the need arise,  Any advice on how to flatten the top side of the black tube on the exhaust tip?
Extending the factory flat spot by about 6 inches of tube length should be plenty.
I'm thinking some kind of press would do it.   Just have to figure out how to flatten the top while leaving the bottom round.

Cuda Cody

Maybe make a round jig that holds the bottom while you clamp pressure to the top.  The top would have a flat pressure point so it should flatten.  You might need to leave some room for the round section to widen out as it flattens?   :notsure:  Might take a couple practice pieces to get it right, but I like the way you're thinking.   :bigthumb:

Quote from: cataclysm80 on January 31, 2017, 07:02:04 PM
Knowing all of this, I'm seriously considering adding some custom made subframe connectors to this car when the time comes.

Should the need arise,  Any advice on how to flatten the top side of the black tube on the exhaust tip?
Extending the factory flat spot by about 6 inches of tube length should be plenty.
I'm thinking some kind of press would do it.   Just have to figure out how to flatten the top while leaving the bottom round.

303 Mopar

Great pics @cataclysm80!  Thank you for taking time to do this and post the info.  I was under my car last night trying to figure this all out too.  I think it can be done but the "S" tube presents a challenge to get the angle just right.  I know subframes made a huge difference in my Charger, so I really want to put them in the Cuda.  I'm going to take it to a local shop that did the subframes in my Charger (see below) since they actually install them inside the frame rail and figure this out.