Main Menu

When to install subframe connectors?

Started by nsmall, April 01, 2017, 04:16:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Sorry in advance as I tend to overthink everything I do.

I have simple subframe connectors that do not get welded into the actual floor board but just tie in the frame rails.

I've been told it's best to do this after Media Blasting which makes sense. My concern is with the engine and suspension out of the car, would there be any danger of the car not being level or tweaked a little bit on the left as I install them on the car which is missing major components????

I'm not painting the underneath body color, but I was going to have it coated so I thought it wouldn't better to install the subframe connectors before the coating goes on.

Just concerned that the car won't be square and I don't want problems later when I put the car back together.

I hope that made sense what I'm asking. Sorry I'm so paranoid I just want to do things right the first time.

Neil

Cuda Cody

Media Blast the car, immediately put it in epoxy primer.... then do any and all metal work / modifications.  So yes, after blasting it.

soundcontrol

They do recommend the car sitting on its suspension or wheels when you install the connectors, but I see many that installs when the car is totally apart. Don't think the engine matters, but if you could support it where the suspension should have been, so it gets the same tension. I had jackstands under the rear axle and the front mounted with stands under the wheels.

61K T/A

I've installed sub connectors on several of my cars. ALLways on all 4's

GoodysGotaCuda

Just because it's on all four wheels doesn't mean the chassis is not racked. Install them as you see fit and what works for your situation.  :alan2cents:
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

cataclysm80

@Cuda Cody  When you custom make subframe connectors, do you weld them in place while the car is still on the rotisserie?

Cuda Cody

I would prefer to do it when the body is on the dolly or on the wheels, but I get tired of welding on my back so I did the last set on the rotisserie.  I know it wasn't the best way, but it worked out okay.  Maybe I got lucky.   :notsure: 

Quote from: cataclysm80 on April 01, 2017, 09:50:02 PM
@Cuda Cody  When you custom make subframe connectors, do you weld them in place while the car is still on the rotisserie?

YellowThumper

From the description it sounds like the Hotchkis type setup so I would suspect it wouldn't be as critical.

I would at minimum have the on all 4s of the suspension.
Secondary issue is that it is without engine. If that is a concern you cannot get past. Then grab a few hundred pounds of sandbags and drop them in. Some on K frame and some inside on the trans hump.

Mike
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

HP_Cuda

It looks like it depends on what type you are installing.

Cody used the ones which mate to the floor pan.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Cuda Cody

The ones I put on were home made.  Just traced the floor and cut the metal to match.   :wrenching:

Quote from: HP_Cuda on April 02, 2017, 09:37:14 PM
Cody used the ones which mate to the floor pan.

rhamson

I talked with John at US Cartool when I bought my frame connectors from him and he said when they install them and they also do it with the car on a rotisserie. I turned my car upside down and did not worry about being under the flames upside down. When I measured the car it was dead on straight. I had a bent frame that I did not see but fixed afterwards. I had to make a height adjustment to the front rail and cut the connector loose at that point and re-welded it and it and it measures out right again.

If you ever can stomach Grave Yard Carz I notice they put their doors and adjust them on the rotisserie. This confuses me as I always do that with the car on it's wheels. :looney:

HP2

Hardcore performance cars  have all chassis work like this performed on a surface plate to ensure everything is  flat, square, and plumb. It is  clamped down and checked constantly for changes.

However, since must of us  don't race these cars in  situations where 10ths or 100ths matter, then it becomes a question of  ease.  If your car is apart, then you can install them at any time.  If your car is  together, you may want to install with weight on the wheels to duplicate its as loaded position and avoid creating any panel gap changes that would create the need to change panel alignment.