Main Menu

Subframe connectors look ugly

Started by nsmall, March 24, 2017, 10:33:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ViperMan

Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 25, 2017, 05:38:36 PM
They are not easy to install and to make them look right it will take a lot of work.  But if you're handy with a welder and have a few days to work on it then you can make them look pretty good.  It was easy to start from scratch and make them. 

Also remember you have to account for the e-brake cable.

So, Cody - when you're doing something like this, do you weld the connector all the way across?  Can you do 1-2" welds every few inches apart?  Since you're welding directly to the floor sheetmetal, is warping a major concern?

Just curious - I've been watching a lot of videos lately about welding and car modifications, so I'm just asking lots of general questions lately.  :)

76orangewagon

Quote from: ViperMan on August 15, 2017, 06:14:30 AM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 25, 2017, 05:38:36 PM
They are not easy to install and to make them look right it will take a lot of work.  But if you're handy with a welder and have a few days to work on it then you can make them look pretty good.  It was easy to start from scratch and make them. 

Also remember you have to account for the e-brake cable.

So, Cody - when you're doing something like this, do you weld the connector all the way across?  Can you do 1-2" welds every few inches apart?  Since you're welding directly to the floor sheetmetal, is warping a major concern?

Just curious - I've been watching a lot of videos lately about welding and car modifications, so I'm just asking lots of general questions lately.  :)

I used stitch welds on my US Car Tool sub-frame connectors, the problem with a continuous weld bead is if your weld cracks, it can continue to crack along the entire weld unless you stop drill it before it runs the entire length. I would recommend stitch welding and run a nice bead of seam sealer along the space where the sub-frame connector and floor meet.

Cuda Cody

Yes, stitch welding would be fine too.  That will add a bunch of strength and wrok perfectly. 

Nice job Ross on the subframes.   :clapping:

MOPAR MITCH

Hello Shane -- Regarding the Magnum Force tubular SFC, have you installed them yet... pictures?  Any issues during the install?  The wrap-around front section (trans cross-rail)?  The rear attachment?.. to the leaf-spring front section???  How low do they hang?  Challenger of 'Cuda?

Shane Kelley

Quote from: MOPAR MITCH on September 27, 2017, 12:50:57 PM
Hello Shane -- Regarding the Magnum Force tubular SFC, have you installed them yet... pictures?  Any issues during the install?  The wrap-around front section (trans cross-rail)?  The rear attachment?.. to the leaf-spring front section???  How low do they hang?  Challenger of 'Cuda?

I have the Magnum Force XRT connectors and yes they are installed. Excellent fit on a Cuda.  Only mods needed were slotting the holes a little bit for the rear spring mount studs. I had a extra set so I checked that fitment before trying to install. Also had to cut a slot in each connector to clear the brake line and fuel line where they come through the torsion bar cross member.  Front seats have to come out to sandwich the floor pan with the supplied plates. Very nice product and my exhaust hangs lower than they do.   

Cudajason

Quote from: Shane Kelley on September 27, 2017, 01:20:23 PM

I have the Magnum Force XRT connectors and yes they are installed. Excellent fit on a Cuda.  Only mods needed were slotting the holes a little bit for the rear spring mount studs. I had a extra set so I checked that fitment before trying to install. Also had to cut a slot in each connector to clear the brake line and fuel line where they come through the torsion bar cross member.  Front seats have to come out to sandwich the floor pan with the supplied plates. Very nice product and my exhaust hangs lower than they do.

Do you notice any difference with them installed?
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

Unless you're on a road course somewhere or launching it with 800ft/lbs of torque I think frame connectors in general are way overkill for a street driven muscle car  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Cudajason on September 27, 2017, 01:27:24 PM
Quote from: Shane Kelley on September 27, 2017, 01:20:23 PM

Do you notice any difference with them installed?

To be honest. Not really.
But my car has the front apron/shock braces and felt really solid prior to installing the connectors. My doors shut nice and the car didn't have any rattles or loose feeling stuff. But I spent a lot of time with small details building it. The main reason I wanted them to help prevent any cracks in the B pillars. I run the car pretty hard and with a manual trans. That can play havoc on the B pillar seams. I have to guess it would still make the chassis more rigid. Just because I can't feel it doesn't mean it's not doing something.  Definitely not a "WOW" what a huge difference thing.

soundcontrol

On my car it was a HUGE difference with subframe connectors! But it's a convertible. I had a lot of rattles everywhere, top was making noises and everything else also. Got almost totally quiet with the connectors on. And later when I took the car completely apart I found loose stuff here and there, missing spotwelds etc. Now I have fender braces, radiator support and I fixed all loose parts, cant wait to drive it again!
(In 10 years, at the speed my resto is going now  :tired:)

rebelyell

I wish I had some of yalls skill.  :worship:  I don't have a welder, and I don't have any way to cut square stock to fit the floor. Any way I look at it it'd be cheaper for me to buy the Magnum Force since the drivers side of the car commences liftoff every time I leave from a stop sign.

MOPAR MITCH

Shane - T/Anks very much for the pics!!!!