Main Menu

Tire Selections

Started by erik70rt, February 20, 2018, 08:28:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

Does anyone have a particular white letter tire they like to use aside from the BF Goodrich Radial T/A?  I am going to put new shoes on my Barracuda as was not finding too much out there.  I saw some Mickey Thompsons as well. 

Thanks!
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

JS29

303 Mopar

I am looking at replacing the tires on my Sport Satellite too and found for 15" tire you are basically limited to Cooper Cobras, MT Sportsman ST, and BFG.  I think Cooper owns MT and the tires are very similar but have a different tread, but not sure there is a significant difference in quality for the $20 cost difference per tire. I've read reviews that the MT's provide better traction, but not necessarily on a wet surface.

BFG's are the most popular and also the most expensive. I have had a BFG tire sidewalls bulge out to the point of almost blowing on me.  Others have had issues with them being out-of-round, and @Chryco Psycho has similar opinions.   

Right now, I'm leaning towards the MT's because I have the E-streets on my Charger and love them. Plus I like the look of the MT's and they are different than the BFG's that everyone else runs.  I like to be different though.  :banana:

HP2

All RWL tires are what is now called a "cosmetic performance" tire and will come with an S or T speed rating and pretty high treadwear number.  As such, nearly one you can find will perform adequately.  Mastercraft, Dean, Multi-Mile, BFG, Cooper and MT all have a horse in that race. Pick what you want or is close by. Schwab, Pep Boys and other regional distributors can probably help direct this effort for you if you don't want mail order them.

Mickey Thompson is a specialty manufacturer so they have different companies making their tires depending on what it is. The Cooper Cobra and MT ST fall under this type or arrangement. The MT SR is made by someone different and most of the MT Drag Tires are made by some one else other than those two.

The MT SR, Nitto 555, and Maxxis Marauder are all H speed rated or better, soft(er) compound tires that have more modern carcass designs to them. However, they don't come with raised white letters and do have limits on sizes.

Choppintime

I like the look of the Mickey Thompson on my car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HP2

Enjoy those Indy Profiles while you've got 'em. They don't make them any more.

Cudamike

I know this post is old but don't buy these.

anlauto

Bite the bullet and buy good ol' bias ply GoodYear PolyGlas tires, you can't beat the look   :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

I have used M/T and Cooper, I would not buy another BFG.
Sheldon

GoodysGotaCuda

I run 15" white letter Cooper Cobras on my D100. Just say no to BFG
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
I agree No to BFGarbage

dodj

It's been two years....he's probably picked up something by now...
So Erik...what did you buy?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

Quote from: Choppintime on February 20, 2018, 11:00:34 AM
I like the look of the Mickey Thompson on my car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just like the look of your car period!  :inlove:   :)  @Choppintime

js27

My 67 Satellite came with Cooper Cobras.  They look good and seem to ride nice. I believe they are pretty old also. Not sure how to check the date codes on these--Anybody know how ?? I actually never heard of them until I bought this car.
JS27

Cudamike

There is a group of numbers and letters that starts with DOT. The last 4 numbers is the build date. example  3416 is the 34th week of 2016