Main Menu

Trim ring identification

Started by Challenger in NC, March 21, 2020, 10:51:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Challenger in NC

I believe these are reproduction 15 x 7 trim rings but I am not sure if they are an early mopar release or a more recent aftermarket offering. There are no stickers on the back. Either way, they are in great shape except for one small ding on the lip. Overall dimensions are 16-5/16 at very outer edge x 3"deep with brushed finish.  A buddy of mine gave them to me because he liked the look of the rallye wheels better without the rings. Is there any easy way to identify who made these or how old they are? I am still trying to decide if I want to use these or go with a more polished set.

mccannix

A picture of the back side would help in determining.

autoxcuda

Sure don't look like originals.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Challenger in NC

Quote from: mccannix on March 21, 2020, 11:01:32 AM
A picture of the back side would help in determining.
I believe the tall style hooks with black finish confirms they are reproduction, but are these mopar or something else?

Challenger in NC

Quote from: autoxcuda on March 21, 2020, 11:10:55 AM

From the front side, what are the distinguishing features that separate it from originals?

mccannix

As stated ...it's a reproduction...and not Mopar reproduction.
Top side outer edge will be flat while Mopar original 6.5 or 7 inch trim ring will have slight curvature.
This a picture Cody had from a previous thread...shows edge difference in yours and
a 6.5 original.

Challenger in NC

Quote from: mccannix on March 21, 2020, 11:36:02 AM
As stated ...reproduction...and not Mopar reproduction.
Top side outer edge will be flat while Mopar original 6.5 or 7 inch trim ring will have slight curvature.
This a picture Cody had from a previous thread...shows edge difference in yours and original.

Yeah, i see the difference in the outer lip profile.

autoxcuda

Quote from: Challenger in NC on March 21, 2020, 11:19:07 AM
Quote from: autoxcuda on March 21, 2020, 11:10:55 AM

From the front side, what are the distinguishing features that separate it from originals?

Took these pictures in the garage right now of an original.

Here's two pictures from the front side.

And last one from the backside showing the reverse profile stamping that may help. The top of picture is the folded outer edge of the trim ring (partially unfolded in this case) When everything is shiny on the frontside it's sorta tough to see. 
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

anlauto

I've seen worse looking aftermarket ones :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mccannix

True..but I've seen where they have a tendancy to acquire a yellowing appearance over time

RUNCHARGER

We used to get those from Wheel Vintiques. I argued with customers to not buy them.
Sheldon