Main Menu

1970 Challenger SE - Massive restoration

Started by BAM, January 24, 2021, 03:36:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

BAM

So, I finally have the complete front end, complete rear suspension and complete front and back brakes. Paint job will be ready next week so early January we start assembling the K member, suspension, etc. Would you say is better to assemble the front on a bench and lift everything up from underneath the car, or install the K and everything else one by one?

Challenger in NC

Quote from: BAM on December 21, 2021, 03:44:37 AM
So, I finally have the complete front end, complete rear suspension and complete front and back brakes. Paint job will be ready next week so early January we start assembling the K member, suspension, etc. Would you say is better to assemble the front on a bench and lift everything up from underneath the car, or install the K and everything else one by one?

I have never installed the engine/suspension assembly from underneath but that's the method I plan on using. You just have to rig up a lifting bar to the front end.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/engine-transmission-and-rear-end/4/engine-installation-methods/21292/msg263238#msg263238

Timbbuc2

I installed my k member and engine from the bottom,  it is so much easier. I made a frame to mount the assy on wheels so I could line it up. Then used my engine puller to raise the body.
Get in, I'll drive

Dakota

Another vote here for putting the assembled K-member in from underneath.  I had the rear axle in when I did mine.   Instead of putting jack stands under the axle, I moved them forward a bit so the front end became easier to lift.   I used an engine lift and a lifting strap to pick up the front end, then rolled the engine and K-member under the car (it was on "piano dollies".... basically padded wood rectangles with caster wheels).  After lowering the front end and supporting it with jack stands, I used the engine lift, a floor jack and some blocks of wood to raise the K-member up and hold it in place so that the k-member bolts could be installed.     

BAM

Sneak peak! One more coat of clear and some small bits and pieces left to be painted. I'll post again when the car is assembled and under the sun... AMAZING!

Challenger in NC

Beautiful color, you made a great choice.

anlauto

Wow....go back to page one and look at the pictures....this is the most impressive build ever posted on this website  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

BAM

Wow! that means a lot coming from you @anlauto. I don't know if it's the most impressive but i'm sure is the most expensive 318 in the world right now  :haha:

BAM

Some more

cudamadd

Wow very very nice beautiful it's come a long way ,your hard work has paid off cheers  :australia:

BAM

And the engine started for the 1st time in over 30 years, after a full rebuild. It sounds healthy and strong.

https://youtube.com/shorts/_Tcho5mxLDU?feature=share

anlauto

Quote from: BAM on January 10, 2022, 09:29:23 AM
And the engine started for the 1st time in over 30 years, after a full rebuild. It sounds healthy and strong.

https://youtube.com/shorts/_Tcho5mxLDU?feature=share

That's very cool, but I don't think I would want to run the transmission dry like that for very long...wouldn't take much to heat-up that front seal  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

BAM

Guys,

anyone able to help me locate this green guides? Or maybe a complete replacement kit for all those plastic things? Summit is out of stock, YearOne ships them in 1-4 weeks which is normally 1-4 decades and I really need to get the windows on and get the car out of the paint shop.

anlauto

anlauto