Main Menu

1970 Challenger SE - Massive restoration

Started by BAM, January 24, 2021, 03:36:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Nepagarage

I just read this entire thread and I have to tell you how much you got accomplished in so little time is amazing! Also great motivation on my project to see yours come together so beautifully! I could only imagine the costs for you on this one, with shipping being so outrageous to Cypress and I imagine labor costs are high there as well since it's specialized type of work in a small country.  Look forward to more updates!

BAM

Anyone can see something wrong here?

YellowThumper

Sway bar links seem low. Factory goes up from lower control arm. Not below it.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

anlauto

Yea, that set-up looks weird...The mount for the strut bar looks like a weak point as well...but I've never worked with those aftermarket parts  :dunno:before.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

BAM

Quote from: YellowThumper on January 23, 2022, 09:39:33 PM
Sway bar links seem low. Factory goes up from lower control arm. Not below it.

The car is still on the elevator. I guess that when the engine will be in and down on it's wheels, things will look different. For now, nothing is tighten in there...just a mock up to understand what goes where. Also, there is a lot of play on the brake pads and I don't know if there should be any additional clip or something to keep them more stable  :notsure:

For now, I'm still looking for the rear end because the one that came with the car is obviously not original.... is some GM one, probably from some old pickup. Unfortunately, I spent a lot of money on restoring it, before I noticed the GM letters on it  :pullinghair:

YellowThumper

Sorry to hear about the GM rear axle.
I was slightly incorrect when stating it goes upwards.
The mounting is upwards and sway bar is parallel to bottom of lower arm. Obviously you have aftermarket setup. However the current mounting of sway bar would have it dragging on the ground at ride height. I believe your bar should be raised to above the lower arms.
Here is a pic of how factory setup looks.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

BAM

Guy guys,

I purchased the rear end but is incomplete (all or most internals are missing). Because I have absolutely no clue about it, is anyone able to guide me to what I need to order so I can complete and install this? I created a new thread here: https://forum.e-bodies.org/engine-transmission-and-rear-end/4/rear-axle-help-on-gears-and-stuff/24242/

I'm sorry if I sound completely crazy but I have no idea on what I'm talking about when it comes to this part...zero...nada...nimic...

anlauto

@72hemi scroll up and have a look at the front suspension pictures here....Is this the same stuff you put in your car ? If so, what's going on with the sway bar ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

72hemi

Quote from: anlauto on January 26, 2022, 11:38:49 AM
@72hemi scroll up and have a look at the front suspension pictures here....Is this the same stuff you put in your car ? If so, what's going on with the sway bar ?

The control arms and strut rods are the same that I used, but I used the original K member and a Firm Feel sway bar, as QA1 said their sway bar only worked with their K member. That said the main thing I see as a problem in the pictures is the end links seem to be way too long and the lower control arm is extended beyond the range of motion it will see under weight resulting in a weird angle for the end link to go through.
Life's too short to drive boring cars

72hemi

Here are some pictures of my setup. Should be noted that I haven't finished tightening up the sway bar as I am finishing the install of the passenger side parts, but you can see how much shorter my end link is and how my lower control arm is sitting higher (within the range of motion for driving).

anlauto

@BAM are you reading this ? Appreciate your time 72hemi :drinkingbud:

72hemi

Quote from: anlauto on January 26, 2022, 04:54:18 PM
@BAM are you reading this ? Appreciate your time 72hemi :drinkingbud:

My pleasure, anything I can do to help.

BAM

@72hemi  @anlauto  thank you guys. I really appreciate the help.

On another note, I ordered everything I needed from Dr. Diff which by the way - very very helpful

Burgman steering kit is here and probably already installed on the car
Waiting for some other small bits and the front end will be completed.
Headliner should be here in about 3 weeks

Everything else should be only small & expensive details  :takemymoney:

As soon as the rear end is on the car, we will install the engine and transmission. After that, the car goes in storage until YearOne and Legendary Interiors will deliver my orders.

BAM

I need some help with what else is missing, to build a driveshaft. Unfortunately, Dr. Diff cannot help in this direction or at least not any time soon. So this is what I have, except the rear end and axles:

* 7290 U-Bolt Pinion Yoke Package  Options: Pinion Spline:  29 Spline 8 3/4" and all 9 1/4"
* 8 3/4" bearing rebuild kit  Options: Casting Number (last 3 digits):  741 (+$25.00) ,  Carrier/Suregrip Type:  All others (2.0" bearing journal) ,  Pinion Bearing Spacer:  N/A ,  Bearing Manufacturer:  Koyo USA/Japan ,  Add Ring-Gear Bolts:  No
* 8 3/4" Clutch Type Sure-Grip ("Powr-lok")  Options: I am using:  Green non-adjustable wheel bearings ,  Add set, ring gear bolts:  Yes (+$15.00) ,  Add pair carrier bearings and races:  Yes (+$38.00) ,  Add bottle, Ford friction modifier additive:  Yes (+$8.00)
* 8 3/4" Inner Axle Seal
* 8 3/4" Ring and Pinion  Options: Case and Pinion Spline:  741 (29 spline) ,  Ratio:  3.55 ,  Manufacturer:  Motive/Richmond
* Green Bearings (PAIR)

now, I'm not sure if there is anything else missing for the rear but I want to get started on building a driveshaft and I have no idea what do I need for that. Is it easier to just order a ready made one from somewhere? If so, from where?

If this is done, I promise that as soon as the car moves under it's own power, a burnout will be made, sitting on a kitchen stool (no interior yet)  :thankyou:

anlauto

Summit Racing sells driveshaft kits, you just have to find one with 7290 U-Joints, maybe call them ?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-730404