Main Menu

1970 Challenger SE - Massive restoration

Started by BAM, January 24, 2021, 03:36:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

BAM

Hi @anlauto . I reached Mancini already. I was asking here because I don't really know which one is right for my car. I was actually looking at this https://www.manciniracing.com/man72driv.html as it's already welded but I'm not sure is what I need. According to the parts I got from Dr Diff, I need a 29 spline but on Mancini website, is marked as being for a 727 transmission so I don't know if it will be longer/shorter and it will fit.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

72hemi

Quote from: BAM on January 28, 2022, 07:17:04 AM
Hi @anlauto . I reached Mancini already. I was asking here because I don't really know which one is right for my car. I was actually looking at this https://www.manciniracing.com/man72driv.html as it's already welded but I'm not sure is what I need. According to the parts I got from Dr Diff, I need a 29 spline but on Mancini website, is marked as being for a 727 transmission so I don't know if it will be longer/shorter and it will fit.

When it comes to the driveshaft if you don't already have one is wait until the engine, transmission and rear axle are installed in the car and then work with a quality local driveshaft shop and have them make you one. That way you aren't ordering parts, finding out they're wrong and repeating the process.
Life's too short to drive boring cars

anlauto

I agree, I would buy the kit and have it welded locally  :bigthumb:

YellowThumper

Agreed on the above 2 comments for waiting. Especially since you also have aftermarket K mounting.
Purchase kit to have if you can source a company local that can weld and balance it proper.
If no shop, then you provide dimension length from transmission to rear. Sounds like you remain waiting on additional parts, so waiting would not create further delays for overall project.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

BAM

It feels like my front brakes won't be that safe... i guess there is something missing that should keep the brake pads in place...

https://youtu.be/aO9mdLrQOi0

Brads70

Quote from: BAM on January 29, 2022, 10:33:55 AM
It feels like my front brakes won't be that safe... i guess there is something missing that should keep the brake pads in place...

https://youtu.be/aO9mdLrQOi0

Those little tabs on the top of the pad ( on the sides) need to be bent down to keep the pad from rattling. I use a small chisel in between the bottom radius of the pad and the rotor to drive it up as much as possible first.

anlauto

Once you bleed the system, the piston will put pressure on the pads and they won't rattle around, right now the piston is fully retracted... :alan2cents:

BAM

Engine is in! We encounter some issues, aligning the power steering pump with the pulley...Is there a spacer for the other pulley or the brackets of the pump are installed wrong?  :notsure:

Also, it appears I'm missing some adaptor for the air cleaner...any idea what do I need there to have it fitted?

Skid Row

:thinking: I believe power steering pulley is for a big block, Did  I see a 3 spoke  vs. a solid for small block?

anlauto

Is the power steering pump pully on backwards ? Looks like it has an offset  :rubeyes: You have a 2bbl carb and a 4bbl air cleaner...you would need a 2bbl air cleaner  :dunno:

YellowThumper

Looks like the p/s pully is on backwards.
The thick post on rear side should be in the front.
Unfortunately that post (now in the back) has the groove that the pully puller uses to extract it off of shaft.
You (or someone will have to get creative fabricating a custom puller.
Normally they cannot be pulled using the outer diameter. The pully will just bend.
Only pic I have so disregard everything else showing.
The p/s pully is correct and you can see the center boss is facing outward.

As stated the air filter base is for a larger 4v.
I suggest having a local shop turn an adapter spacer up out of aluminum.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

RUNCHARGER

Not a smallblock guru but is that even the correct pump? That looks like a later pump to me.
Sheldon

Dmod1974

It looks like the right pump, but the pulley is on backwards.  Since it has a nut on the end it should be easy enough to flip around - it's not press fit since it has a keyway.