Main Menu

1970 Challenger SE - Massive restoration

Started by BAM, January 24, 2021, 03:36:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Quote from: BAM on February 12, 2021, 07:45:30 AM
Is the little "button" on the steering column for tilting or what does it do?

That's NOT an E Body steering column. :alan2cents:

I would think that button controls the emergency flashers  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

BAM

Quote from: anlauto on February 12, 2021, 07:49:42 AM
Quote from: BAM on February 12, 2021, 07:45:30 AM
Is the little "button" on the steering column for tilting or what does it do?

That's NOT an E Body steering column. :alan2cents:

I would think that button controls the emergency flashers  :thinking:

There goes another 5-600$  :dunno:

Thanks Alan for the info!

I feel my Challenger is mostly an old Mercedes hahaha

BAM

Can you guys advise what year is this engine? I'm starting to order parts for it and I'm trying to get them right (zero mechanical skills here 😀)

I found a website where someone was building a 318 to 400 bhp. I read the whole thing but I seriously don't understand what's what. I will share the link here and maybe someone can help me a little bit  to locate those parts or part numbers or something

JS29

anlauto

The block casting date (could be 1969) will be on the other side of the engine, but the VIN tells us it came from a 1970 vehicle
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

BAM

Thank you guys!

Anyone here tried this: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-0409-318-engine-build/

If so, could anyone indicate the actual parts that will go with my engine? I know is a lot to ask but i`m afraid i will start ordering a bunch of parts, wait for 1-2 months to have them delivered and if something is not right, i`ll have to wait another 1-2 months to get what i need :)

I`m looking to change most internals, except the crankshaft. Shall i try sourcing some magnum heads? As i understood, those will not need any modifying compared to the 340 ones.

Big dilemma here  :clueless:

JS29

The last one is the wrong year, At  leased the first one was refurbished.  :alan2cents:

dodj

HOLY CRAP!
The last column I bought was 50 bucks....about 5-6 years ago.
Are those prices reasonable now?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

BAM

Isn't that VERY overpriced? I mean I'm sure i can find here on the forum a column for like 100$.

I have this option for 200$ can anyone suggest which one i should pick?

anlauto

I would pick the complete one with the mounting plate. 1970 is a ONE YEAR only steering column, harder to find = more money :bigmoney:

BAM

Quote from: anlauto on February 24, 2021, 01:01:24 PM
I would pick the complete one with the mounting plate. 1970 is a ONE YEAR only steering column, harder to find = more money :bigmoney:

Hey Alan, thanks again for the help. I guess you are referring to my last post, the one with the photos included?

If so, thank you, I will definitely follow your advice

anlauto

BAM

BAM

Good mornin all!

I`m the proud uncle of a baby girl!!! :banana:

Back to the car, question:

Is a Cuda/Barracuda door skin the same with the Challenger one? I`m having difficulties to find AMD door skins anywhere in stock and i found a paid on ebay but the seller is advertising as being for a Cuda  :thankyou: