Main Menu

1970 Challenger T/A (B5 with a 4 speed 3.91)

Started by 69CudaFan, December 11, 2018, 07:46:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kdcarman

Quote from: anlauto on April 29, 2019, 07:16:53 AM
Engine looks awesome  :twothumbsup: ...couple of comments but I'll keep them to myself. :-X

since when?   :haha:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

69CudaFan

@anlauto if it's is stuff we can easily remedy now, fire away. Better to deal with it now than when it's all together! Paint is from Frank Badalson so color should be spot on. Exhaust manifolds will be shot too.

Mymcodebee

Fire away Alan.  I have thick skin ;) 
Manifolds are off and will be painted orange as were waiting on attaching hardware. 
They will be orange for a short while...

anlauto

My comments would be just that....my opinion....I don't ever want to be that guy that stands on a pedestal preaching what's right or wrong...

However the PCV valve is wrong, glad to see you painted it engine colour, but it's incorrect for a 70 340  :alan2cents:

Also "MY OPINION" the dip stick tube, fuel pump and wire separators should have been painted engine colour however I acknowledge the fact that some experts disagree. :worship: and of course the exhaust manifolds.

There @kdcarman I did it....I busted under pressure  :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Mymcodebee

Were on the same page Alan.  You're correct;  the PCV is wrong but close.. ;)  I saw someone on moparts had six NOS one that I should have bought a while back. 
I agree 100% on the dipstick tube and the wire looms. 
It makes no sense that they would not paint them engine color when they painted so many other things.
We've decided to paint the wire looms and will do those with the bellhousing and manifolds this week.
Don't be shy Alan we only have 73 days to Carlisle and I don't want to be turning wrenches on the fairgrounds when you stop by! 

69CudaFan

All of this leads to a better finished product. I know Reid can take it!

There are two ways to do things, the right way or over again!

The idea is that this is as representative of the way the car looked in 1970. Heck even the "TV cars" you see have issues, and some of them are not that small either...but I will stay on topic.

autoxcuda

I thought the correct PCV was available nice repro.

It takes the smooth non ribbed type, correct?
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

anlauto

Quote from: autoxcuda on April 30, 2019, 11:07:57 AM
I thought the correct PCV was available nice repro.

It takes the smooth non ribbed type, correct?

YES they are :alan2cents:

JH27N0B

Fuel pump is not painted on a small block.
When you paint the bell housing, it was more overspray engine color from the engine painting process than a nice uniform coating.
Wire separators not painted.
Don't forget to paint the dipstick handle black, seems like most people paint them engine color which is wrong.
There was an article in Mopar Action some time ago about Frank Badelsons unrestored T/A with many pictures.  And they had pictures on their website, but that disappeared when Mopar Action went out of business.  I don't know if those pictures have reappeared on the website after MA was reborn?
The engine compartment pictures were outstanding. They were very high resolution and you could zoom in to any detail.  I spent more time looking at those pictures when restoring my T/A than I did looking at Farrah Faucetts pictures when I was 14 so that's really saying something!   :rofl:
Thankfully I saved those pix before they shut down the website.
I also have a bunch of reference pics in an album in my Flickr site.
I'll post it later as I can't find it using this very outdated iPad I'm on now.

JH27N0B

anlauto

Like I said, everybody has their opinion on what's painted and what's not. :alan2cents:

JH27N0B

For the fuel pump issue, I argued that with the restoration shop after they painted mine.  They replaced it with an unpainted pump on my engine after I confirmed with Scott Smith that was indeed correct.
Scott has a huge collection of pictures of unrestored 340s, maybe if he sees this thread he will share some.
I've never seen an unrestored 340 with painted wire looms. Photographs of many survivor 340s are in my Flickr including Wellborns former B3 T/A.
Feel free to post survivor 340 pictures showing painted fuel pumps and wire looms, I'm always open to fresh information!

anlauto

Quote from: anlauto on April 29, 2019, 10:16:12 AM

Also "MY OPINION" the dip stick tube, fuel pump and wire separators should have been painted engine colour however I acknowledge the fact that some experts disagree. :worship: and of course the exhaust manifolds.

:dunno:

anlauto

Here's the original owner AAR I'm working on now, One wire separator is painted, one is not  :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: