Main Menu

1970 Challenger T/A (B5 with a 4 speed 3.91)

Started by 69CudaFan, December 11, 2018, 07:46:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

340challconvert

Nice job on the TA rebuild
Like your attention to details! :wrenching:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

69CudaFan

Dipstick tube will be black (looking for the original one, repro on backorder.

Exhaust manifolds will get painted once hardware arrives.

Reusing the separators and they will be painted since they are smokers tooth yellow at this point.  :)

@ScottSmith_Harms will do the carbs.

I know the PCV is a pet peeve of @anlauto.

On a side note, what in the fire extinguisher hell is going on with this "space saver" canister? Looks like a weird cap on it. :dunno:

anlauto

That's the completely wrong space saver canister for 1970. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ScottSmith_Harms

Thank you for your carb business! :)

FYI, your dip stick should be black but the tube was painted orange with the engine. Spark plug looms were not painted (if yellow bothers you new ones are available). PCV was painted orange with engine.

69CudaFan

2 separators and 2 retainers total? I know they should be white, pics to illustrate shape.

1 Wild R/T

I'm assuming unpainted separators is a small block thing cause I've worked on allot more big blocks than small blocks & I clearly recall seeing original plug wires with orange paint on the wires from the wires being clipped into the separators while they were still wet, or damn close to it....

anlauto

That's why I will never stand on a soap box and say with 100% certainty that "this is right" or "this is wrong" because we all know that these were built by humans and we've proven time and time again that Chrysler liked to mix things up now and then....and I'm also thinking there was more then one supplier for engine assemblies as well....so who really knows what could have happened back in the day...  :dunno: It's a crap shoot... :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Mymcodebee

Quote from: anlauto on May 01, 2019, 12:20:49 PM

The car was purchased from a friend of ours who is a huge mustang restorer.  Looks like his Ford canister got stuck in the T/A pile!

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Mymcodebee on May 01, 2019, 08:25:07 PM
Quote from: anlauto on May 01, 2019, 12:20:49 PM

The car was purchased from a friend of ours who is a huge mustang restorer.  Looks like his Ford canister got stuck in the T/A pile!

No, thats a Chrysler bottle, just not an original 70 bottle... If you actually used the spacer saver spare the bottle is a one use item, so it needs to be replaced... The red steel bottle was what Chrysler used in later model cars & what they sold as a replacement for all cars...

RUNCHARGER

I agree, the original owner of my pink R/T had a flat, hence i had the same bottle.
Sheldon

69CudaFan

Still waiting on manifold hardware. More progress next week.

Stevens Restorations is looking for their next rare OEM car resto candidate. If you want a car done right, I highly recommend them. They aren't scared to tackle anything, and they only do it right.

Come find the guys and me at Carlisle and say hello. Our Carlisle spots are K118, 119, 120 and 121 that's where this car will be sitting under the tent. Will let you know if anything changes!

69CudaFan

anlauto

Manifolds turned out nice....two months to Carlisle eh  :yes:

69CudaFan

Yes...hoping for no snags along the way. Steady stream of parts keeping the fellas occupied.

Distributor getting freshened this week. New cap and rotor will be tan. That was just to ship it.

69CudaFan

A little 2229171 goodness. Should clean up well.