Main Menu

1970 FE5 'Cuda Build

Started by 1970Cuda, January 10, 2017, 04:42:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1970Cuda

Progress Report: Just got the doors on. Beginning to look like a real car ... needs fenders on it though.

JS29

usraptor

I know that feeling when all you have left is installing the front fenders.  It's really nice to see a complete car, at least on the outside.  :twothumbsup:

E74cuda

FYI, The black on the tail panel should extend down to mist over the portion that the bumper mounts on. That way when the rear bumper is on the car you don't see body color between it and the black out.

1970Cuda

Hi folks,

I have been remiss in providing an update on my project build – although the restoration has been coming along, albeit slower than expected.
I am just posting one scant picture of the driver's side door with the window glass installed and the doors mostly together (except for the weather stripping).

The thread on reassembling the doors (door handles, locks, rods, etc.) and regulators/tracks/guides/stops was invaluable. Even though I have a shop manual, it really helps to read about others' experiences and suggestions for faster and less hassle-free reassembly. (As an anecdote, I tried it both ways – installing the glass first and then the latches and locks, etc., and vice verse; I think it's easier and had a better outcome when I did the later, as the manual indicates is the order.)

I am installing tinted glass, mostly because I need to replace all my glass anyway and it looks better and should stay somewhat cooler. I installed used door glass as a trial run in case I broke one or something happened. Turned out OK, and I learned a ton about the doors. (I just need to adjust them and put on the strikers.)

Q: Has anyone used the new AMD glass? If anyone has other suggestions, I'm always open to other ideas too.

Next I'm working on the brakes and getting those finalized (since this was mostly done anyway). And then circling back to the correct assembly sequence of the trunk weather strip and adjustment (since I also saw this on e-bodies.org).

Hopefully everyone's projects are coming along too.

1970Cuda

Hi All,

Since August 2020, I have not been able to work on my project (as I had shoulder surgery around mid-month and was recovering from it 'till now). However, I now have partial clearance to work on my hobbies, so I dived back into it during December 2020.

What I've been working on to date:

1.   Completed the rebuilding of the 4-speed and brake assy (see suggestions below)
2.   Completed the installation of brake lines, front to rear and engine compartment
3.   Completed the cleaning and painting/installation of the windshield wiper arms and pivot gaskets
4.   Completed the final touches on the doors (except alignment and striker placement)

Attached are a few pictures for reference. (Thanks to both McKellar's Modified Rides and Roseville Moparts for parts assistance.)

Suggestion: I purchased both the stock needle bearings and also the National needle bearings for the clutch (B-88), and the Nationals are far better than the standard factory ones, at least from my perspective. (The Nationals are US made and also have an actual bearing carrier vs. the standard OE version, which merely has the needle bearings held in place by a crimp seal on the bearing.)

Next on the agenda is completing the axle lines, installing the fuel line and return line and then the tank.

Hope ya'alls projects are coming along too.  :^)

usraptor

Looking good! :banana:  I love the way that red paint pops!  :twothumbsup:

1970Cuda

Hey thanks for the compliment – I am a big fan of the Rallye Red. What is interesting is it seems that it has more orange in it then red, as perhaps the base color is orange? I noticed in the bright sun it looks much more orange then when it is in the shade.

Converting ECS system to Federal Standard:

I have a question though on a different subject: Converting the CA fuel vent system (Evaporation Control System) over to the Federal standard. My car came with the ECS system, but I want to use the simpler Federal system. As well, I am missing some of the ECS components, and no one reproduces those, so if I want it running, then I need to convert it anyway.

Is it possible for one of my fellow enthusiast out there post a picture of the fuel tank, filler neck and return line please (just in the trunk and tank area)? I bought the tank with the one vent tube, but not sure about the filler neck (mine has no vent) or the vent tube placement (including the one in the trunk if possible). Here is a picture of what I have so far. I have not installed the vent tube, but I know that it runs alongside the fuel line the length of the car, but is routed differently under the trunk pan. (I have read and reread the shop manual, but It is not very clear). Thanks much for your assistance.

usraptor

I see you haven't had any responses to your question.  Do you still need  pics or did you figure it out.  I can snap some pics tomorrow of my '70 if you still need them.  PM if you still need the pics.

usraptor

Here you go. My fill tube does not have any vents attached to it.  First pic is of the vent assembly in the passenger side of trunk.  Second pic shows the vent assembly running up turning around and then going through the plate in the floor.  Third pic is of the nipple on the pass side of gas tank and the rubber gas line that I connected to it..  Third pic is of that rubber tube and metal vent tube going through the hole in the frame rail.  Last pic shows the bottom of the vent assembly that is shown in first pic.  Let me know if you need any additional pics or explanations.  Sorry for the late response we finally got a day with temps over 60 here in Utah and my son and I took advantage of it and were gone all day on a motorcycle ride and just got home.  I went out and quickly took these pics and then naturally my internet acted up and wouldn't let me post anything for an hour!  :verymad: :pullinghair:  Good luck.  :twothumbsup:  I hope these help and answer your questions

1970Cuda

Evening USRAPTOR - Many thanks for both the pictures and explanation! I think I have it now. I did have one other question now that I see your installation: The larger vent tube, the one that I believe is 5/16"  (that runs through the frame rail hole). It doesn't attach to anything, it that correct? I vents to the air?

And it was I who had the late response to your offer of assistance. I didn't get a chance to look at the site (darn work always getting in the way of more important things - LOL).

What was weird is that the kit I bought actually had another line (I'll post a picture tomorrow), sort of like an "S," that I had no idea where it went. It's probably for a later vehicle, like a '72.

When I see your installation, it's pretty straightforward. Again, thank you for the information!

FE5CUDA

All your missing now is the vapor line clip, I got mine from Mike at BEA Parts.

jt4406

70Cuda, here's a few pics of my 70 challenger's tank vent.

"   It doesn't attach to anything, it that correct? I vents to the air?   "

My car vents INTO the frame rail (attached pic of pink car not my car, don't have a pic of mine), rest of white car are my may 70 LA built car with fed emissions (not calif as your's was). Hope it is some help to you.

Update: after reading your response above it appears Usraptor has the pics you need as my car vents FROM the filler neck and your's will be venting from the nipple on the tank. However it appears they both vent into the hole in the rear frame rail.  jess
"Yeah, it's hopped up to over 160........"