Main Menu

1970 T/A GoMango 4sp

Started by Rbob, May 28, 2020, 07:32:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rbob

Quote from: anlauto on May 02, 2021, 09:39:01 AM
You're putting that tinted glass in your factory T/A ? interesting choice, I'm sure a lot of purist are banging their heads right now... :headbang:

I'm interested in how it looks because I've been contemplating this glass for a resto-mod in the future... :thinking:

I know purist will probably not be on board or agree with the tinted glass but I am building it for me not for re-sale. 

My car is not 100% pure, it does not have the original motor, it does have a T/A motor.  It will be pretty close to original just not 100% and I am ok with that.

Rbob

Got a surprise in the mail today, a heater box flap door from @Floyd, thank you for your generosity! 

I plan on finishing up the heater box tomorrow. 

Update, I assembled my steering column today with the help of @Cuda Cody   assembly video.  The steering wheel needs a some work maybe some stain and clear not sure if that is the correct solution.

Did I say I love evapo-rust? I put the window regulators and most everything else that would fit in a tub or tube or coffee can. Pics:

Floyd

@Rbob Glad the heater box door finally made it.  Got a question on your steering column assembly.  I too followed Cody's awesome videos but made a mistake while attempting to get the crush can mounted.  I didn't have the column secured in a vise and ran into problems trying to tighten the lock nut down.  I couldn't secure it enough while tightening the nut.  I ended up using an impact wrench but the repeated jarring broke my turn signal switch.  That was a crushing error on my part.  New switch acquired but I can't afford to make the same mistake.  How did you secure your column while tightening the lock nut?

I too have been so impressed with evaporust.  I also suggest using soda blasting for cleaning window mechanisms.  It does a fantastic job cleaning off that hardened/crusty grease and leaves the galvanized plating intact.

Rbob

I did not secure the column, it was laying on a fold out paint stand. I hope i did not break mine as I used a 3/8" impact also (butterfly type) I will check this morning when I get to work.

I wonder if the shaft was spinning while using the impact?

I replaced the ignition switch, it had a large plastic covering that I ended up removing because the turn signal wiring would not fit in the same space.

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: Rbob on April 30, 2021, 07:25:33 PM
Installed trunk weatherstrip, trunk and both doors while waiting for some heater box parts.  Slow progress but its progress, been busy at work.

Made a stand for the dash frame, dash is supposed to be end of month.  On edit, almost forgot to post, I did paint the steering column, dash parts and interior back-glass and windshield header molding

@Rbob Where are you getting your dashpad from?

Rbob

@DeathProofCuda , I sent it to ABC Moparts

Attempted door glass install, failed.  I already installed the cat whiskers and took it back out, do I need to pull the handle and latch?  I tried with the track on the glass.. and off of the glass... :headbang: :headbang:

I will search for some tips tonight and try again tomorrow.

anlauto

Quote from: Rbob on May 04, 2021, 05:18:26 PM
@DeathProofCuda , I sent it to ABC Moparts

Attempted door glass install, failed.  I already installed the cat whiskers and took it back out, do I need to pull the handle and latch?  I tried with the track on the glass.. and off of the glass... :headbang: :headbang:

I will search for some tips tonight and try again tomorrow.

Cat whiskers should be off...EVERYTHING else should be installed (except front track, up stops and felt guide things) the front track goes in attached to the two sliders on the glass, drop the rear of the glass in the door, hook it on to the rear track and drop the front in...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rbob

@anlauto Thank you.  I will report back tomorrow.

Rbob

I finally got the passenger door glass installed, I ended up taking out the rear track top bolt because I could not get the window hooked over the track.  The aftermarket adjusters with the felt on them were too long so I installed the old ones since the felt was still good.  I pushed the brackets against the table edge to show the difference.  They could have moved the nut closer to felt 1/4" would have been way better as there is lots of adjustment in the other direction.

Floyd

@Rbob - That's an accomplishment.  I see something in your pic that leads me to comment.  I think you may need to add more blackout to the cowl where it meets the windshield depression and where the dash pad will eventually butt up against.  I had something similar and members here reminded me that you shouldn't be able to see body color there.

Pic of the lower RH corner of my windshield area for reference.

Jay Bee

Quote from: Floyd on May 05, 2021, 03:29:58 PM
I think you may need to add more blackout to the cowl where it meets the windshield depression and where the dash pad will eventually butt up against. 

Rbob, check out your pictures in your first post, you'll see it on your car.

Rbob

@Floyd  @Jay Bee  Bee Good catch.

On the blackout, I could have just painted the bottom all black. My plan was to use pinchweld primer when installing the windshield using urethane. Either way I would be using the pinchweld primer.

Drivers door glass in, same deal had to remove the upper rear bolt to get the rear glass to hook over the vertical support.  Maybe someone will make a video of the best / easiest way to install. Tomorrow I will work on the rear quarter glass and heater box.

anlauto

Really curious how that tinted glass will look on the finished car... :thinking: I'm starting to think I would have liked it for the quadruple black resto-mod I'm building....I went with new AMD factory tinted glass :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Rbob

Heater Box is assembled, cable clip for antenna wire is troubling me, it has a very narrow attaching point so looks like a stretch to fit onto the heaterbox plastic part.  @anlauto what am I missing?

First pic is internet reference.

anlauto

I've seen those usually on the back of the glove box, where the two halves meet, don't recall ever seeing them on a heater box like that. :huh: