Main Menu

1974 Challenger Restomod

Started by Dmod1974, December 08, 2019, 09:25:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Okay thanks...I was looking at the Nu-relics kit...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dmod1974

Last update for now - I managed to get my accelerator pedal figured out borrowing from @303 Mopar (thank you for that sticky!!!!) and adapted the factory pedal to the electronic pedal that comes with the control kit.  I tapped the metal GM pedal bracket so that the factory pedal hex bolt threads into it.  I also used the factory pedal pivot spring too.

Dmod1974

Freshly rebuilt steering column.  The powder coater did an excellent job!

Dmod1974

I also wired up and tested my Dapper Lighting 575 LED headlights with HDR switchback halos.

soundcontrol

Quote from: Dmod1974 on July 17, 2021, 10:25:00 AM
I also wired up and tested my Dapper Lighting 575 LED headlights with HDR switchback halos.

Your videos are private on YT, if you make them "Unlisted" we can see them.

Dmod1974

Quote from: soundcontrol on July 18, 2021, 07:01:09 AM
Quote from: Dmod1974 on July 17, 2021, 10:25:00 AM

Your videos are private on YT, if you make them "Unlisted" we can see them.

Try now, I just posted them as unlisted.

soundcontrol

Quote from: Dmod1974 on July 18, 2021, 07:09:27 AM

Works now, nice lights! Need those, just checked the cost,  :o, have to wait...

Dmod1974

Quote from: soundcontrol on July 18, 2021, 08:35:06 AM
Quote from: Dmod1974 on July 18, 2021, 07:09:27 AM

Works now, nice lights! Need those, just checked the cost,  :o, have to wait...

Yeah, they are definitely not cheap, but arguably the best on the market.  There are not many options for 5.75" headlights that don't revolve around H4 conversion bulbs or look really ugly and tunerish.  7" is another story since it was a popular HD truck bulb size.

I have a buddy who installed these in his 2nd gen Camaro and that turned me onto them.  They have actual projectors built in to get the proper cutoff and eliminate glare, plus I have the "OE" glass lookalike option so they are curved and have the grid lines around the projector instead of being flat and smooth.  These also have a 5 year warranty and everything in the kit was very high quality.

YellowThumper

Plenty of solid updates.
Thank you.
Good luck on your painting saga.

Mike.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

usraptor

What brand steering wheel is that?  Custom?

Dmod1974

Quote from: usraptor on July 30, 2021, 04:28:10 PM
What brand steering wheel is that?  Custom?

Nope, just an out of the box Grant #246 steering wheel.

Dmod1974

Just finished up restoring and assembling my dash.  The powder coat work came out great!  I also got everything wired up and ready for testing later next week.  Once I make sure everything works, I'll program the Dakota Digital gauges with the Bluetooth phone app.  There's a lot going on behind the dash, but it's loomed and organized in a way where it really only will fit one way and everything is as accessible as can be when in the car. 

I had to find places to mount the speaker crossovers, gauge module, BIM01 CAN module, Mopar Performance CBID module, key buzzer, dash buzzer, keyless entry, central power lock, and reverse lockout modules in addition to 6 relays, but it all fit and came out pretty good I think.  The A/C ducts are the real space hogs!

Dmod1974

And after many, many months, the 525LPH Hellcat conversion Aeromotive fuel tank that I ordered 11/30/20 finally arrived!  This is a unique set up; the fuel pump module is mounted dead center in a baffle foam housing, and the fuel pump wiring and inlet/outlet are somehow routed inside the tank to a bulkhead in the stock sender location. 

The fuel level sending unit is a unique piece remote mounted inside the passenger side of the tank on a special built in bracket.  It's definitely not a Mopar style factory sender.  Since it must use a 73-10 ohm sender from some other common linear resistance application (most likely Ford) unlike the Mopar one, I'm hoping this and the Dakota gauge set will play nice and actually read accurate unlike the reproduction senders.

I'm running the Mopar Performance control kit with the FPDM so no external regulator or return line is needed.  It also includes the 4 vent lines like a 1970 Cali emissions set up, so it gives me some options for venting the tank.

Dmod1974

All of the wiring testing went perfect, which is amazing given the amount of crimps and circuits I had to build.  I also got a chance to power up the entire dash and program the Dakota Digital RTX gauge set.  This is an awesome piece; it has endless customization options.  The first video shows it as I have it configured in Day and Night modes, as well as testing the pop up messages and warnings for the high speed fan and line lock arming functions being controlled by the rear defog switch.  The 2nd video is it in demo mode.

benguin

Love how the gauges keep the original feel with a great modern update.  Nice work!!