Main Menu

70 Challenger Conv. Restomod. 6.1 Hemi

Started by soundcontrol, January 18, 2017, 12:52:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

FINALLY! My quarter is on the car for the very last time. Wheelhouse lip and flange to trunk extension glued with panel bond.
I got the gap almost perfect for TIG welding, (no gap) some welding now and I'm ready for the passenger side, hopefully that will go faster.
I'm gonna try the SE rear trim on the car before I finish welding the quarter flanges to the taillight panel, with the old quarters it did not fit well there.

JS29

Just take your time, Nice job so far. :perfect10: good looking welds, about another thousand or so and it will be time to start grinding.  :slapme5:

soundcontrol

Quote from: JS29 on March 23, 2020, 05:36:45 PM
Just take your time, Nice job so far. :perfect10: good looking welds, about another thousand or so and it will be time to start grinding.  :slapme5:

With the TIG, and a copper backing for cooling, I can go about an inch at the time without so much shrinking, except for a stretch above the quarter window, where I can't get the copper backing in. There I have to take it easy. I bought some cooling paste for that area.

CincyCuda

I love seeing another purple ragtop coming back to life, looking good !

soundcontrol

I was dreading this long ass weld for over a year! Now it is done and I 'm very happy with it.

Thought I would get some distorsion and shrinking around the weld, but nothing! I was surprised.
I took it easy, welded about 3/4"-1", then waited so I could touch it, then continued.
Did not take a long time at all, maybe 3 Hrs including time to reposition the copper on the back and moving heat absorbing paste.

Second picture is just after steelbrush and 3rd picture after some light grinding with a mini flap disc.
I don't think I need any bondo at all on this weld.
:veryexcited:

JS29

:bravo: You used a tig welder on that? again :bravo:

soundcontrol

Quote from: JS29 on March 28, 2020, 02:25:02 PM
:bravo: You used a tig welder on that? again :bravo:

Yep, love my TIG welder, much more control over the weld. I only use the MAG for plug welds.

JS29

That makes it official, I want to get one.  :perfect10:

soundcontrol

Quote from: JS29 on March 28, 2020, 02:37:37 PM
That makes it official, I want to get one.  :perfect10:

Get an AC/DC TIG, mine is only DC, with AC you can weld aluminium also.
I'm getting an AC/DC one as soon as I can stop buying rust buckets and car parts and save up some cash... :)

RUNCHARGER

Weld looks great. Yup, I am looking for a TIG as well.
Sheldon

YellowThumper

That looks really good.
Yep tig all the way for me as well.
Sooo much more control.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

soundcontrol

2021 is the year I'm gonna start up the work on this one again, car is in jail right now, in the corner of my friends garage, blocked by a 63 Ford Galaxy, and I can't move it or get to it until my friend is free from his Covid19, he spent a week in the hospital on oxygene and just got home last night.

I rented a new garage, I can't call it a "shop" but it's big enough for working in 2 cars, for now, my wife's Barracuda and my 70 Challenger.
I really need a bigger space but this will do until I find a better one. I still have all my parts scattered in multiple locations.

On top of that my latest impulse buy, the local junkyard scrapped a Jeep Cherokee SRT 06, low mile nice running 6.1 Hemi, I bought it with tranny and all computers, wiring, gaspedal and shifter for 4k. Might go in my 70 Barracuda later...

74-5.7

Nice score on the 6.1 drive train, lots of potential. Wish I could find one near me that is in my price range.

soundcontrol

First time in years the Challenger see daylight. preparing for the move to my new place.
The Ford guy is so happy to pose with a Mopar!  :D

BluRaySRT

How did you solve the speaker problem in the convertible?  Thanks