Main Menu

70 Challenger Conv. Restomod. 6.1 Hemi

Started by soundcontrol, January 18, 2017, 12:52:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mybrothers70

soundcontrol

Seems like I'm never gonna get this quarter on. Wheelhouse is fitted now and I'm welding it finally. Next step to fit the rear valance with the quarter, bought a new valance, and then the trunk floor extension. After that I can paint again with epoxy primer and 2k epoxy.Takes me forever to fit everything.

RUNCHARGER

It does take a lot of time, however it is fulfilling and 1 hour spent on getting it to fit will save 5 hours down the road.
Sheldon

Dmod1974

I know the feeling!  The driver's side quarter on my car took FOREVER to get fitted and installed.  I swear it took me a month or two to get installed.

It gets better though; when you do the other side it'll probably take a fraction of the time once you get through the learning curve.

JS29

Good jobs take time! When I have to do the something on both sides of a vehicle, I do the right side first. The practice from that makes the secant one come out easier and maybe better. the customer looks at the left side more often.  :rofl:

YellowThumper

Quote from: JS29 on January 29, 2020, 06:36:09 AM
Good jobs take time! When I have to do the something on both sides of a vehicle, I do the right side first. The practice from that makes the secant one come out easier and maybe better. the customer looks at the left side more often.  :rofl:

:haha: :rofl:
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

soundcontrol

Picked up 2 Corvette Z06 seats a few days ago. Was gonna use Porsche seats, (have those also) but I got such a good deal on these, 630 bucks, was in a 07 Corvette, the owner changed them after 2 years so they are practically brand new. Porsche seats needed to be reupholstered, would have cost me 2 grand in leather. I'm gonna paint the car black, and possible a red stripe and red carpet, so the red inserts will fit.

They seem to fit good in the car also, rails are about 2" longer than the originals, but the same width.
I might cut them some, but I gotta do some more testing when the time comes.
Just need to make a bracket for the L-R height difference.
Electric driver seat. Very comfortable to sit it.

Only slight problem is the Z06 logo  ::)

soundcontrol

Here is my fight with the non fitting driver side trunk floor extension.
I could for the life of me not make it fit. So I cut it in half, horizontally,
then fitted the lower part to the quarter and the other part to the trunk floor and wheel house.
Then I made a mark and cut a piece out, at the widest about 3/4".
Made some welds with the pieces mounted on the car, then took it out again and TIG welded it back up.
Now it fits. Massage they call it, I call it major surgery.

anlauto

Wow...you're putting up quite the fight ! With all the AMD sheet metal my metal guy has worked with, we've never run into so many issues installing quarters....I feel for you man  :console:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

Quote from: soundcontrol on February 09, 2020, 01:52:26 PM
Picked up 2 Corvette Z06 seats a few days ago. Was gonna use Porsche seats, (have those also) but I got such a good deal on these, 630 bucks, was in a 07 Corvette, the owner changed them after 2 years so they are practically brand new. Porsche seats needed to be reupholstered, would have cost me 2 grand in leather. I'm gonna paint the car black, and possible a red stripe and red carpet, so the red inserts will fit.

They seem to fit good in the car also, rails are about 2" longer than the originals, but the same width.

I'd install the steering column and wheel and see how those seats fit before you get too much into them? Distance between steering wheel and seat is always at a premium on our E-Body's .One of the reasons for the popular tough wheel as it's smaller in diameter giving you more room. When I was "shopping" for new seats at the wrecking yards I found lots of nice looking comfortable seats but they were always too tall under the steering wheel to work . Lots of really nice seats in BMW's  and Mercedes and even new Challengers but to tall .... 

JpRngr

Quote from: Brads70 on February 09, 2020, 02:52:27 PM
Quote from: soundcontrol on February 09, 2020, 01:52:26 PM

I'd install the steering column and wheel and see how those seats fit before you get too much into them? Distance between steering wheel and seat is always at a premium on our E-Body's .One of the reasons for the popular tough wheel as it's smaller in diameter giving you more room. When I was "shopping" for new seats at the wrecking yards I found lots of nice looking comfortable seats but they were always too tall under the steering wheel to work . Lots of really nice seats in BMW's  and Mercedes and even new Challengers but to tall ....

I'd also check with the top up. I ended up modifying the outter floor board on mine to make it flat even with the inner portion so I could use '11 Challenger seats. They were way too tall otherwise. Fit perfect now.

soundcontrol

Good points guys!
I will mount the seats when the car is ready to drive (in 10 years?  :haha:)
and test everything before I decide, the Porsche seats are slightly higher than the Corvette seats and I tried those with the wheel in the car,
seemed to work out well. But I didn't drive it, engine was out. I have a Grant wood steering wheel for it, I also have a Tough wheel, they are about the same size.

Mymcodebee

Wow I have had to work my trunk extensions before but that is a large modification for those.
Looks Great!

soundcontrol

Finally the trunk floor is all welded up. It's just screwed down while I was fitting the trunk extensions and wheelhouses.
Second pict: I worried if my plug welds looked good enough, then my eyes moved 1 inch to the factory welds on the convertible pump bracket.... :crying:
I just have to redo those also, along with a bunch of other superbad welds from the factory.

I wonder if the OE resto guys replicate the bad factory welds  :dunno: :D

soundcontrol

Little bit of progress today, nice to have a super professional ventilated paint booth in the 2 car garage  :haha:
2 coats of epoxy primer, 2 coats of black epoxy.