Main Menu

70 Challenger Conv. Restomod. 6.1 Hemi

Started by soundcontrol, January 18, 2017, 12:52:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

larry4406

Keep it coming!

Watching for details on the quarter panel skin installation...

soundcontrol

I will move slow, still working every day of the week. Next step is to testfit everything, then weld in the trunkfloor with extensions and outer wheelhouses.

soundcontrol

Finally got some welding time in today. I put the trunk floor braces in place. That was more work than I expected, I painted them inside, and the trunkfloor area that they cover with primer and a top coat, then copperbased weld primer on the weld areras, it will not rust in my lifetime. I suspect I made the holes for the plugwelds a little bit big, 6mm (thats close to 1/4"), next time I'll try 5mm (3/16"). But its a good area to start with since I have not done any other plug welds with my new MIG yet.

I'ts probably overkill to grind the welds afterwards since its gonna be completely hidden but I did, gotta try out my nice new beltsander... 8)

JS29

Nice welds! Grinding the welds relieves some stress off the welds, so it's good to do it.   :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

YellowThumper

Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

soundcontrol

The wheelhouses come together in the rear with a flap that I think is spot welded, and there is a big opening there covered by seam sealer by the factory. Mine had rust there, both sides, and all my other e-bodies I owned had rust there. I decided to weld it shut, must be a better solution for the area, and I don't care about it looking stock there.

Then I prepared the trunkfloor for welding, drilled holes for the frame plug welds, bought a hole punch for the flanges, (that was a nice tool! )
Put copper based weld prime on both sides of all flanges and weld surfaces.

Now, I made a new rear crossmember, the one that connects the two framerails behind the bumper, should I put that one the rails before I weld the floor in or can I do it after?

Edit: Looked at how MCR does it, I better install the crossmember before the trunkfloor.

soundcontrol

Wow, over a year since my last update! Well, work is slowing down some, only 50-60 Hrs/week now, feels like I'm on vacation... 8)

I did get the trunk floor in this summer though!

Getting back at it, gonna get the quarters on, so I took the advise of the pro's here and dug up the fenders and hood, so I can check all the gaps and fitment of panels before I weld. Fender to rocker, second pict, is there supposed to be a gap there to match the door gap or should it be tight to the rocker?

CincyCuda

That looks good, you don't want it touching the rocker.......great project, It looks very similar to my own

YellowThumper

Factory original placement on a 74.
Yours looks correct.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

soundcontrol

Great! thanks guys, my door is a little off now, gonna get everything as good as I can before welding quarters now.

nsmall

Its about time soundcontrol.  Thanks for giving an update.

RUNCHARGER

That gap looks good. Exciting time in the build!
Sheldon

soundcontrol

The 1 piece trunkfloor fit well! I screwed it down, (after this pict) not welding anything until everything fits.
I forgot to order a new rear crossmember so I made my own, just moved all weldnuts from the old one.