70 Challenger Conv. Restomod. 6.1 Hemi

Started by soundcontrol, January 18, 2017, 12:52:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

A.Gramz

Heat gun and scraper but it's really really slow

soundcontrol

Quote from: A.Gramz on April 27, 2017, 03:27:36 PM
Heat gun and scraper but it's really really slow

Thanks, gonna try that, I just need to clean off some weld area. I can sand off the whole quarter later outside. But I can't get the car out right now, and it's stopping my progress.

usraptor

Ken, been a while since I checked on your progress.  Once again, I'm very impressed and jealous of your skills.  I would have given up a long time ago.  Keep up the good work and the updates coming!

soundcontrol

Quote from: usraptor on April 28, 2017, 07:37:53 AM
Ken, been a while since I checked on your progress.  Once again, I'm very impressed and jealous of your skills.  I would have given up a long time ago.  Keep up the good work and the updates coming!

Thanks! I'm getting skills as I go :)
Lets see if I give up and let someone else paint if later, or if I will attempt that one also.

soundcontrol

Decided to cut out the quarters. I have new skins, hopefully they will fit. Feel nice to get to the areas behind there, so I can sandblast and protect it. I am going to change the outer wheelhouses. First some repairs on the inner wheelhouses. Redoing some ugly patches from previous owners.

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Great work so far. It's really coming together and when finished with be a testament to your skill n hard work.

soundcontrol

I linked my CC.com thread to this one, gonna continue just here, because its so much work to resize every picture to fit CC.com.
And since most of the admins here are admins there also, I hope that it was OK.
If not...  :sorry:

And here is the link to my CC thread if anyone wants to see it from the start:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=102525.new#new

Cuda Cody

The detail and lever of repair you are doing.  Going to be an awesome car when it's done!!!!!   :banana:  Nice job so far buddy.

soundcontrol

Fixing the wheelhouses, it was kinda tricky, takes a lot of time. There is 3 parts that meets there on the convertibles, and a major rust area. I did not know what it supposed to look like because someone just cut it out and put a big ugly patch covering everything, but I found some good pictures of the area on Alan's website, so now I know!
I always think that my welds are not good enough, and work a lot to get them perfect, than I turned around and looked at the factory welds......reality check!! (Picture 3)  :haha:

soundcontrol

Can't beat a friday night in the garage with a Hemi and a couple of Trashy Blondes!  :D

Cuda Cody

I know what you mean...  Can't tell you how many times I see factory original welds and  :barf:

Quote from: soundcontrol on May 07, 2017, 11:56:31 AM
I always think that my welds are not good enough, and work a lot to get them perfect, than I turned around and looked at the factory welds......reality check!! (Picture 3)  :haha:

soundcontrol

Checked my rear framerails and inside the rockers today with a small USB camera. Looks very good for a 47 year old car! I'm gonna use Eastwoods Internal frame coating in these areas. Picture of rocker is from the rear, a little surface rust 4-5" in the back, thats all. I wirebrushed the area and used some rust converter on it.

The black stuff in the video is blasting media, gotta get it out somehow.

Cuda Cody

soundcontrol

Eastwood Internal Frame coating inside the rockers. I wanted to do this before I cover up the end of the rocker with the new wheelhouse so I could see if it covers good. And it does! Applies very nicely,  I can't see a spot thats not covered. Hose nozzle is a bit too short for the rockers though so I put 2 of them together on a straightened out a wire clothes hanger and fastened it on, so it got some support. Did one round from the rear and one from the front, there is a hole in the front in to the rocker.

Cuda Cody

Looks like it covered everything nicely.   :twothumbsup: