Main Menu

70 Challenger Hellcat Killer

Started by mauls, May 26, 2020, 09:16:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

mauls

The last part of that car that needs attention is the floor.  Needs new front pans, and media blasted.  I didn't want to touch any of it until I got the transmission fitted as I knew I would have to hack most of the old trans tunnel up.  Here's some pics of that process.

I will be running a modern pistol grip shifter, same one I'm running in the hellcat, but I just used the stock hellcat shifter to mock up for now

Modern pistol grip shifter

Will need to fab up a new trans tunnel and cross member

Carr will go back out this week for media blasting the rest of the interior to remove surface rust.  Next steps are to cut out the front floor pans and replace with ones.  Make a new trans tunnel, and epoxy prime everything!

mauls

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on May 26, 2020, 12:25:02 PM
Nice!

I love my gen3, I'd really like to swap a 6.2L or stick a whipple on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah sadly the hellcat engines weren't really on the market to buy when I first started this build.  Now you can pick up a hellcat engine for 8-10k which isn't a bad deal at all!

mauls

Last of the pics for now, as we are caught up to current day.  Don't mind the fender gaps, there are only 2 bolts on each fender  :)

Still need to dial in the coil overs and get the stance where I want it.

Using a Modern 2012 challenger radiator, they fit in perfectly, just need to fabricate some new mounts for it

Thanks for watching, i'll keep everyone updated with progress

anlauto

This is a great looking project  :twothumbsup: Going to be one to follow for sure :cooldance:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

soundcontrol

Cool project! Following.  :popcorn:
Noticed that you mocked up the tires with the 7-1/4" axle and then installed a 8-3/4". Does the axles have the same width?

mauls

I believe so, but I didn't confirm forsure, I was mainly seeing if the wires would clear the wheel well.  I have this diagram saved, but no reference so the 7 1/4 rear end.  I did notice that the 8 3/4 and 9 3/4 rear ends were the same, so only assumed that the 7 1/4 was as well.

soundcontrol

Aha, OK, I just bought a Barracuda that I'm quick fixing for the summer, (has a 7-1/4") and was gonna use the Foose wheels I have for my Challenger (8-3/4"). Was thinking that it might be different, but I can measure that easy. Yours seems to fit well though. Thanks for posting the diagram!

YellowThumper

Another fun one to follow and dream about.  :bigthumb:
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Swamp Donkey

You make this look so easy!  I'm going somewhat in the direction of your build.  Very interesting that you make the 315's fit so easy without the mini tubs and going with a Dana 60 from a B-body like I thought I would have to go.
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

usraptor

Wow!  You're not wasting any time on this project.  :clapping: Can't wait to continue to watch your progress.  Wheel and tire package are awesome.   :twothumbsup:  Engine sounds really healthy.  :stayinlane:  Love your Student Driver Sign!  :D

ratroaster

Looking good! I would really consider a Strange S60 rear if you are going to run a whipple with manual trans.  8-3/4's get expensive to upgrade to handle that kind of HP with a manual trans...the Strange S60 will be stronger and less $$ ... :alan2cents:

Chryco Psycho

:iagree: Having scattered a number of 8 3/4 diff just spend the cash once & build a Dana , Dr Diff / Cass is great to deal with  :bigthumb:

mauls

Quote from: Swamp Donkey on May 26, 2020, 04:01:10 PM
You make this look so easy!  I'm going somewhat in the direction of your build.  Very interesting that you make the 315's fit so easy without the mini tubs and going with a Dana 60 from a B-body like I thought I would have to go.

Thanks, well all these pics are about 1.5 to 2 years apart so I wish it were that easy haha.  Offset and back spacing are key, I'll be happy to share what i'm running if you are interested. I don't have much wiggle room.

Quote from: usraptor on May 26, 2020, 06:06:02 PM
Wow!  You're not wasting any time on this project.  :clapping: Can't wait to continue to watch your progress.  Wheel and tire package are awesome.   :twothumbsup:  Engine sounds really healthy.  :stayinlane:  Love your Student Driver Sign!  :D

Thanks!  It's slowed down a bit since having a kid, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.  I'm happy the wheels/tires fit, they were as close to as what I was looking for that I could find.  Appreciate it!

Quote from: ratroaster on May 26, 2020, 06:40:17 PM
Looking good! I would really consider a Strange S60 rear if you are going to run a whipple with manual trans.  8-3/4's get expensive to upgrade to handle that kind of HP with a manual trans...the Strange S60 will be stronger and less $$ ... :alan2cents:

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 26, 2020, 09:07:29 PM
:iagree: Having scattered a number of 8 3/4 diff just spend the cash once & build a Dana , Dr Diff / Cass is great to deal with  :bigthumb:

I actually have a Dana 60 from a 70's truck that needs rebuilt and need to shorten the tubes on.  My end goal is to run a 4 link in the rear and at that time swap the dana 60 in, once rebuilt. 

From what I was reading I heard the 8 3/4's can hold up to 500 - 600hp range, but with a 6 speed, launching will be hard on it.  I did go with a 489 sure grip, clutch style case, I heard those were the strongest.  But i'll take your guys word for it as this is my first time on one :)  I do love the Dr. Diff page, and will be spending some more money there in the future!

moparcar

@mauls  Great build! Can you post some more pictures of the 2012 Challenger radiator install?

Topcat

Great build going on.  :bravo:

But the Blackhawks....    :stop: :deadhorse: 
j/k. Love Hockey and sure miss it.