70 Challenger SE

Started by Timbbuc2, January 05, 2017, 11:56:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

headejm

Timbbuc2

Marked the center of vinyl top on the back side
Get in, I'll drive

Timbbuc2

Had a good day, my son came up and helped me with top. I prefit the vinyl top chrome to see how far to glue the top. So once the chrome is in place I used painter's tape to help keep the over spray and draw exactly where to trim the top. All information  I could find is the top is trimed to fit half distance of the chrome,
  Once I had the center glued, about a 4" wide strip front to back, I sprayed car and top to the seam. Let it dry to the touch, then I put pieces of cardboard to keep the 2 surfaces separated until I was ready. So slowly slide the cardboard out about 1 to 2 inches while putting tension on the top,once you rub the top it's pretty much set. Continue until you reach the seam. Don't freak out when you see the puckers on the seam. Do only one side at a time.  I had a plastic tool that really helped to get it smooth. The side pieces take a little work but it's doable. This is a 2 person job.
By the way my seams were perfect
Get in, I'll drive

Chryco Psycho

Need to see how you did the bottom of the back window  :bigthumb:

Timbbuc2

After the top was on, installed the trim at the bottom of the window to see what needed to be trimmed, I took a pencil and marked the outside of the trim and then trimmed off the vinyl so it would Jack up the chrome. The vinyl is is under the chrome alittle more than half of the width of the chrome. The fasters  do go through the vinyl for support.
Still have to trim out the window. I do have a question about the post for the clips, Do the post screw in. The clips I got from MoparDave came with screws. So can I screw the old posts out.
Get in, I'll drive

Chryco Psycho

The bottom of mine was approx 6" too wide , not sure why ?

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 17, 2019, 10:51:34 PM
The bottom of mine was approx 6" too wide , not sure why ?

Had the same issue, maybe not 6" to wide but enough to cause me to have to do extra ...this is how I fixed mine.  Tim's looks ok and the seams look good too.

anlauto

Extra material is likely because you didn't pull out the sides enough  :alan2cents: We've done a lot of tops here and never had that issue :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Timbbuc2

Is the rear interior window trim padded. My trim was broke ,having to repair it. It has what looks like 3/8" foam under the fabric.
Get in, I'll drive

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

I didn't have any interior trim.  Had to fabricate it all.  That's a whole nother set of pics.  They are on the desktop. Will have to get to them tomorrow.  I did use foam, but thicker., and corrugated plastic as the base/carrier.

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Quote from: anlauto on March 20, 2019, 09:44:23 AM
Extra material is likely because you didn't pull out the sides enough  :alan2cents: We've done a lot of tops here and never had that issue :dunno:

The guys that put my top on didn't have a lot of experience with vinyl. I just made the best of a situation .  I can live with it for now.  Sort of have to!

RUNCHARGER

I believe they should have slid the vinyl forward a bit and that would have resulted in less material in the back. The original SE's had foam around the roof plug but I found it was better to fill it with bondo instead. If your SE top is on with no issues, you should celebrate.
Sheldon

Timbbuc2

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on March 20, 2019, 07:15:19 PM
I believe they should have slid the vinyl forward a bit and that would have resulted in less material in the back. The original SE's had foam around the roof plug but I found it was better to fill it with bondo instead. If your SE top is on with no issues, you should celebrate.
I had pretty much the same amount of fabric front and back to pull and not get glue on my hands. Now I did buy a Legendary top. My car was painted when I bought it and I did have a area that had a indention at the plug area. I sanded and put glazing putty, turned out pretty good
Get in, I'll drive

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

OK.  some  pics  of the trim I made...........

Timbbuc2

Looks good, I bet that was a lot of work, Mine had been redone somewhere it's past history, and I hope this work was not done by a upholstery shop, if it was they are probably not still in business.
Get in, I'll drive