Main Menu

'70 Hemi Challenger (SS/D and SS/DA car driven by Lee Cameron of Sacramento, CA)

Started by HemiStan, January 05, 2018, 02:17:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GY3R/T

HemiStan is a man after my own heart..... A 426 Hemi sittin in the living room !!    :bradsthumb:

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site !
What an amazing car , story & history . Great that you have all of the pictures too
in picture 13-6 it really looks like it needs hood pins !!

mopar jack

Looks like an 8 3/4 diff was strong enough to run 10.90 with auto trans.

GY3R/T

Great history !!!   :burnout:    Are we looking at the original block ?  I don't see a VIN. Do you have a pic of top pad and bottom rear flange ?     :wowzers:

RUNCHARGER

Welcome to the forum and I love your car. I bought that Super Stock Mag back in the day as well as the other one when it was in Hawaii. I dreamed of owning it when looking at both those mags way back when.
Sheldon

Topcat

Wow! What an amazing car and history behind it.

The stories it must have if this car could talk would be a helluva story.

303 Mopar

That is a very cool car!  I would restore it back to the drag race car in its glory days!

6bblgt

AWESOME!  :wrenching: looks like you have a bit of work to do ..... keep the pictures coming!

JS29

750-h2

72 Challenger

for what my little voice is worth, I would restore it to the trim immediately following the work at Landy's shop. Since he is such a famous molar icon, which adds to the cool factor of this car, and the documentation you have of his work is so extensive that it should be "simple" (using those words carefully here lol) to recreate.

The value of this car in my eyes in race trim in both it's historical value and monetary value. Cool factor is undeniable. Whatever you do I can guarantee you the entirety of this forum is glad to see it saved.

i'm all for factory originality but this is not the time or the car!

just to throw my bias out there, I absolutely love documented former race cars, light weight cars etc... even the ugly A990's.
Someday I will have a J0b.

HemiStan

Thanks for all the comments everyone!    It has definitely been a major project to say the least.....  I am going to spend a couple of hours posting more pictures today to get everyone up to speed on the current status of the project.  I am normally in the garage working but it is 19 degrees here in Virginia today so I think I will just sit here in the warmth and post pictures....

I can just about guarantee that I will never put the car back to 100% assembly-line stock configuration.   The next caretaker can do that down the road if they choose, but not me.  I do intend to bring the body/metal back to factory configuration.  The body has had a lot of modifications (some decent, some absolutely crude....) done to it over the years that I want to bring back to factory.   I will most likely do a "Day Two" restoration or maybe even a late '70's style Street Machine.  Either way, it will have an 18 spline four speed and Dana installed.   

I do know this:  I don't think I will ever try and bring back an ex-race to semi-stock street trim again.  I have spent several years gathering the correct parts and repairing all of the drilled holes, hammered sheet metal for clearance, etc.  But it will be worth it in the end.

Stan

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I thought it was really neat as the Swift Dodge with the custom faded paint etc. but I wouldn't put the auto in it. I think your idea is perfect, sheetmetal back to factory and then day 2 paint and performance mods.
Sheldon

HemiStan

Here is the Build Sheet Decoder (Thanks again to Cody and all of the folks here at E-Bodies.org!!)  I had uploaded this file earlier as a single PDF file but I scanned each page in as a photo so it appears in the thread.

Since this car was sold in California, it does not have the chrome exhaust tips originally.  I intend to keep it that way.   As you can see, it didn't have too many options.  No radio, no stripe, manual drum brakes, manual steering, no console, etc.  But, it has a Hemi and a four speed and that is all that really matters to me....

Stan