Main Menu

'70 Hemi Challenger (SS/D and SS/DA car driven by Lee Cameron of Sacramento, CA)

Started by HemiStan, January 05, 2018, 02:17:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HemiStan

Quote from: anlauto on January 06, 2018, 11:51:04 AM
Okay, I'm late to the party, welcome Stan, here's my two cents worth.... :alan2cents:

Car needs to be restored back to it's original state B5 in and out....."day two" mods to the engine for sure, and a set of Aluminum slots polished all around with (important part) PolyGlas Goodyears....F60's on the front and G's out back.....or even 14" on the front and 15" on the back to really give it a correct big&little look :unbelievable: One step further to represent it's past may be a tasteful simple bolt in roll bar....

I certainly would do a colour change of any sort.....
....as for the restoration, you should start by stripping and blasting the car completely before you start welding in small patches everywhere :alan2cents:

Awesome car ! :burnout:

We are definitely on the same sheet of music!   It will have aluminum slots and bias plys! 

I am also with you about the blasting part.  As I mentioned earlier, I have a small portable blaster that I used to blast/clean any portion of the car that would be non-accessible once the welding was done.  Frame rails, inside the cowl where the lower corners of the windshield meets, etc.   I blasted and painted all of those areas prior to welding in the patches.  I eventually got the entire car blasted and put the entire thing in PPG epoxy primer.  I don't think there will ever be another rust issue with this car.

Stan

anlauto

Here's my "Day Two" V code six pack Cuda....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HemiStan

This summer I replaced the dutchman panel, repaired the package tray area, and basically rebuilt the entire rear tail light area.  As you probably noticed, at some point they "upgraded" the car with a '71 grill and tail lights.  They used a hacksaw, metal shears, and a hammer to "modify" the tail light area.  In keeping with the theme of repair versus replace, I spent about two weeks repairing it.   I am pretty happy with it!  I also test fit the quarters and did any tweaking that I needed to prior to sending the car out to get media blasted.

Stan

Cuda Cody

HemiStan

I got the car media blasted about a month ago and immediately cleaned it and put it all in PPG epoxy primer.   

On a side note:  One gallon of PPG epoxy primer plus catalyst cost me $426 (and some change).  Coincidence....   I think not....   

So, here is where we are at.  The car is now on the "clean" side of the garage.  I have it set up on some leveled jack stands and the drivers quarter is about 90% finished.  The RH quarter is test fit and ready for welding.  As soon as it warms up a bit, I will weld it up.  I like having the garage doors open for ventilation while welding.

I went through the 18 spline a couple of weeks ago and it is ready to go!  I have purchased all of the brakes, wheel cylinders, suspension components, steering components, the "956" radiator has been re-cored, etc.  I have a list of big items that I will pick up at Carlisle this year to save on shipping costs (fuel tank, brake and fuel lines, grill, flywheel, etc.). 

I have a loooong ways to go but it is happening!  My random, made-up, self-imposed goal is to be banging gears by summer 2019.....  I will keep this thread updated!!

Stan

HemiStan

Last February I was watching some YouTube videos and came across this.  I took a screen shot of it so you can see what video it is from and at what time during the video.  Dallas, 1970.  There is about a 2-3 second clip of the car heating up the slicks.  I like it!  Doing what it was meant to do!

Stan

HemiStan

Quote from: anlauto on January 06, 2018, 12:20:43 PM
Here's my "Day Two" V code six pack Cuda....

I have ALWAYS liked that car!  "Day Two" is where it's at!!!

Stan

6bblgt

I see on the broadcast sheet decode, you ran it thru back in May '17  :lurking: thanks for joining & adding your story here  :twothumbsup:

I guess the cold weather is good for something  ..... "WE" get to come along for the ride!  :burnout:

Cudino

Awesome car Stan!  And thanks for sharing your adventure with us.  Your car will look killer when it's all done, so keep up the great work and perseverance!

- Wade

HemiStan

Quote from: 6bblgt on January 06, 2018, 01:33:48 PM
I see on the broadcast sheet decode, you ran it thru back in May '17  :lurking: thanks for joining & adding your story here  :twothumbsup:

I guess the cold weather is good for something  ..... "WE" get to come along for the ride!  :burnout:

I super appreciate the work that all of you all put into that Build Sheet Decoder!  I cannot imagine the number of hours that it took to put that together. 

Here are some pictures of the K-Frame.  Unfortunately. they cut it up pretty good.  There is a part of me that wants to "restore" this K-frame....   As you can see from the previous posts, I have no problem firing up the welder!

The numbers on the K-Frame are "1330  1"    with a "76" coin.

Stan

GY3R/T

Cuda Cody

As 6bblgt has shown us a few times, these cars can be built weeks before or after their scheduled build date.  So it's completely possible that it was the original.  But you never know with old race cars. 

Quote from: GY3R/T on January 06, 2018, 04:00:54 PM
K-Frame made and/or stamped 3 days before SPD.

GY3R/T

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 06, 2018, 04:18:26 PM
As 6bblgt has shown us a few times, these cars can be built weeks before or after their scheduled build date.  So it's completely possible that it was the original.  But you never know with old race cars. 

Quote from: GY3R/T on January 06, 2018, 04:00:54 PM
K-Frame made and/or stamped 3 days before SPD.
Yep...Knew that.    :cheers:    And i beleive it is the original K-Frame.   :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Great work! I bet you can sleep better now with the knowledge you actually have something. I know the dejected feeling, when I bought my Hemi Cuda it was a real letdown as I had wanted one for 20 years and it turned out to be a bit of a mess everywhere under the paint.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho