Main Menu

'70 Vert - waited long enough...

Started by Cuda416, September 09, 2020, 10:15:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mr Cuda

Well, blasting is a better surface prep than chemicals. 
The pores of blasted metal hold the etch.. or iron oxide converter... (2 separate and completely different products) and make it hard to rinse.
Your rinsing blasted metal which is no good.  Remaining etch can leach through primer, and unrinsed rust converter can remain gummy.
Now you're chasing your monkey "tail"!

Cuda416

Quote from: Mr Cuda on March 02, 2022, 01:18:09 PM
Well, blasting is a better surface prep than chemicals.  The pores of the metal hold the etch.. or iron oxide converter... (2 separate and completely different products) and make it hard to rinse. Your rinsing blasted metal which is no good.  Remaining etch can leach through primer, and unrinsed rust converter can remain gummy.
Now you're chasing your monkey "tail"!

Well I have a LOT to learn do this is all great info and I appreciate the it.
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

Mr Cuda

Because I have lived bodywork and paint so long, I have the habit of glossing over details like they are unimportant or well known.  If you have something specific that needs clarification,  just ask.

Cuda416

Quote from: Mr Cuda on March 02, 2022, 03:24:20 PM
Because I have lived bodywork and paint so long, I have the habit of glossing over details like they are unimportant or well known.  If you have something specific that needs clarification,  just ask.

I think everyone does that. I appreciate your offer, thanks!
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

RacerX

I was never able to find any viable blasters in the San Antonio area other than Dr. Blast

There were one or two others but they were more focused on industrial blasting and did
cars as a side thing.   Reviews were not very good and I think at least one of them closed
or stopped doing blasting.

If you ask that muscle rod shop in Boerne who they use they mention Dr. Blast

He is not fast or cheap but his work is good.    It has made my work much easier.

One thing to note is that any blaster is probably going to want it on a rotisserie so it
can spin to get at the hard to reach spots.

And I concur on the flash rust problem...   unprimed parts of my cuda (the swiss cheese
floor that was to be changed, for example) rusted almost instantly after the blasting.   
I keep blasted parts in the air conditioned part of my shop so they don't rust before
I get a chance to protect them with primer or phospho.

Cuda416

I've reached out to him in the past, and I did  again this morning. Hopefully I'll get something arranged soon. I asked him about the carts he builds and not only did he answer, he made a video about it. Lol, service with a smile.

Hey, if (when) I bring the car to him, maybe I can swing by your place again and see how things are progressing.

-=C
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

RacerX

Quote from: Cuda416 on March 04, 2022, 08:50:53 AM
I've reached out to him in the past, and I did  again this morning. Hopefully I'll get something arranged soon. I asked him about the carts he builds and not only did he answer, he made a video about it. Lol, service with a smile.

Hey, if (when) I bring the car to him, maybe I can swing by your place again and see how things are progressing.

-=C

Yea I took my 15 inch rally wheels to him to be blasted and he made a special "lazy susan" jig to spin them around in the blast cabinet and made a video about that also.

No problem just let me know when you want to come by