Main Menu

71 Challenger 440 six pack 4 speed

Started by antonellomopar, October 11, 2020, 03:09:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

antonellomopar

"Won" makes me laugh!
The seller grossly misrepresented the car, not mentioning that the framerails were a nightmare. When asked for a pic,  the one that he sent showed a small hole. He  didnt say that everything else was absent. Well, now car is here, there is no sense in complaining...
What really distubes me is that the first owner doesnt reply to my questions about the early years of the car. He owned the car since 1978, until 3 or 4 years ago. I have his ph number, but after wring a message as a reply to me introducing myself and his old car...he never replied to other messages or ph calls. Really dont understand this behaviour. Car has always been in the Menasha, WI area. If someone remebers the car, please get in touch with me.
The picture is what the ebay seller sent me when asked about frame rails.

TGGodfrey

It could be that he doesn't want to deal with people.  I don't blame him.  One question leads to 123,678,094 more questions that you don't feel like answering.

I am at the point the only way I would sell one of my cars is through consignment for that same reason.   The older I get the worst my opinion of people gets.  By time I go I expect my living will is to order my cars crushed.

Sorry to ended up with a headache after delivery.  Mine is pretty much the same thing only I was able to see the car first.  Its all the shit you can't see in someone else's driveway that reared its ugly head or tiny shit you missed.

:deadhorse:

antonellomopar

You are right...he could be annoyed by people. For myself, if someone is the owner of a car that belonged to me, I would be happy to answer his questions or tell him the story of the car. But this is me.

serpiko

Sounds more like a guilty conscience to me. Hello Antonello by the way, I think we have met once.

antonellomopar

Serpiko...when did we meet? It could be...have been into US cars since the eighties....
As for the owner, I have not been aggressive in my messages...only trying to know history of the car.

serpiko

Quote from: antonellomopar on December 02, 2020, 11:27:19 AM
Serpiko...when did we meet? It could be...have been into US cars since the eighties....
As for the owner, I have not been aggressive in my messages...only trying to know history of the car.

Oesingen 2009 I believe, with the other guys from the usacarsforum.it, albeit I was there only shortly.

antonellomopar

For now, I finished working on the car. Put it back together for transportation to the bodyshop. The metalmaster will install the new rear frame rails, fornt and rear floors, and quarters. plus will fix some assorted rust in a few portions of the car. Luckily doors, hood, fenders, engine compartment, firewall  and window channels seems perfect.The car seems to have always been covered, but subjected to a lot of humidity and dampness. Seems to have rusted in only the lower parts of the body, the upper part is perfect. Cannot explain to myself why door latches were completely frozen, or gauges were heavily rusted. Had a Trans Am 76 that was submerged in a flood, and the gauges were in the same condition after a year or so...
Here are some pics of the car as is now, waiting for the tow truck tomorrow mornng

antonellomopar

dash was a nightmare- Luckily had a nice speedo, and some tohher stuff from another gauge set. Originals was incredibily rusty

antonellomopar

Picked up from the garage with my 2006 300 srt8 Touring...and loaded on the tow truck

chris NOS

Are you getting it sandblasted before metal work ?

antonellomopar

Don't know yet, the bodyman still has to evaluete what needs to be done. All of the floors will need to be changed, quarters and extensions too, firewall is mostly good. Rest of car is in good condition.

Brads70

Quote from: antonellomopar on December 09, 2020, 03:24:18 PM
dash was a nightmare- Luckily had a nice speedo, and some tohher stuff from another gauge set. Originals was incredibily rusty

Was this car in a flood at some point? Underwater?

antonellomopar

Brad, I was never been able to talk to the old owner that had the car from 1978 to 2017, even if I have the phone number. From the look of things,expecially from the gauges,  I think it was submerged sometime in the past. Or it has been stored in a very humid place. Car has always been in the Menasha, WI area.

usraptor

Sorry you got burned by the seller on E-bay.  With all that rust it sure looks like it went underwater at some time during it's life. But a least you have a good attitude about it and will do what is necessary to bring it back to life. Did the engine and trans come with the car or is that something you picked up elsewhere?  Keep us posted on your progress. We're looking forward to seeing it come back to life. 

antonellomopar

The orogonal engine was removed early in life of the car. I got a 69 440 engine and a 23 spline trans in the deal, but have already found a 71 block. I am also trying to find a 18 splines trans. Also found all the six pack stuff, got my carbs rebuilt by Scott Smith, and am waitng for sother parts to arrive and start the machine work on the engine.