Main Menu

71 'cuda finally getting some love after 28 years

Started by RacerX, May 07, 2020, 11:04:30 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RacerX

Quote from: anlauto on May 09, 2020, 10:47:54 AM
That's actually pretty typical  :looney:

Needless to say, when the time comes to put the sealer back on, it will not be applied "factory correct"

:no:

cuda hunter

Quote from: RacerX on May 08, 2020, 09:05:12 AM
Quote from: whitsend on May 07, 2020, 06:33:03 PM
What's the story on the 70 Challenger RT in the background?  :ohyeah:
At any rate
that motor was unfortunately deemed to be junk despite being the numbers matching block for
the car. 

I hope you didn't throw the block away.  Anything can be fixed and there is only one original to a car. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Swamp Donkey

Hey.  Your story sound almost exactly like mine.  Last time my car was insured was 1992, same year I bought it.  It's been in storage ever since.  Wife, kids, life etc and now I am on pace to finish the car in 2024 for my 50th birthday. Built a shop to restore in 2015. I think we are twins.   Haha.
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

RacerX

Quote from: Swamp Donkey on May 09, 2020, 01:40:35 PM
    Hey.  Your story sound almost exactly like mine.  Last time my car was insured was 1992, same year I bought it.  It's been in storage ever since.  Wife, kids, life etc and now I am on pace to finish the car in 2024 for my 50th birthday. Built a shop to restore in 2015. I think we are twins.   Haha.

Yea our stories do sound similar!    Nice to finally get back to it even after the long break!

We are hoping to have this one back on the road in 2021 for it's 50th anniversary.
It was born in August 1970 so I don't think we will make it for it's 50th birthday    hehe

76orangewagon

Is the car a early build ? I see it has 1970 shock plug hole locations. Typical 71 hole location is in the back of the floor pan not the top.

76orangewagon

Yep...I see you posted that right before I added my post.

RacerX

Quote from: 76orangewagon on May 09, 2020, 02:09:46 PM
Is the car a early build ? I see it has 1970 shock plug hole locations. Typical 71 hole location is in the back of the floor pan not the top.

Yes...   scheduled production date on the fender tag was August 23

It also has the front end blackouts (behind the grille, front of radiator supports, inside the front valence, etc) and bottom of rocker panel blackouts which
I understand they stopped doing somewhere in the '71 model year. 

6bblgt

Quote from: RacerX on May 09, 2020, 02:23:55 PM

It also has the front end blackouts (behind the grille, front of radiator supports, inside the front valence, etc) and bottom of rocker panel blackouts which

all the above still received the "blackout" for '71
the "blackout" that was eliminated for the '71 model year is the top of the cowl

RacerX

Quote from: 6bblgt on May 09, 2020, 03:00:23 PM
Quote from: RacerX on May 09, 2020, 02:23:55 PM

all the above still received the "blackout" for '71
the "blackout" that was eliminated for the '71 model year is the top of the cowl

Ah ok...   now that you mention it that sounds like what I heard.    I knew there was no cowl blackout for '71 but I could have swore though that they stopped the others during the model year.

Shoooter

Good great, good thing you held onto it all these years!

E74cuda

I'd say that a larger percentage of 71's had the earlier type trunk floor. The later one came in more towards the end of the run. I have one that was built at the end of March with the early floor.

RacerX

Quote from: E74cuda on May 10, 2020, 06:57:58 AM

I'd say that a larger percentage of 71's had the earlier type trunk floor. The later one came in more towards the end of the run. I have one that was built at the end of March with the early floor.

What is the general consensus on replacements?     It seems the repops have the new style access holes despite being marketed as 71-74.

E74cuda

In one of the previous pictures that you posted it clearly shows that you have the top shock blot access holes with the orange plugs on the top of your original trunk floor. If you want the same floor order a 1970 trunk floor. That is correct for your cuda.

RacerX

Quote from: E74cuda on May 11, 2020, 08:56:03 AM
In one of the previous pictures that you posted it clearly shows that you have the top shock blot access holes with the orange plugs on the top of your original trunk floor. If you want the same floor order a 1970 trunk floor. That is correct for your cuda.

Well, yes, of course that would be the course of action.     I was just curious because AMD doesn't list a 1970 floor...  only "71-74" with the new style holes.

Roseville shows both styles available on their webpage.

Classic Industries has a "universal" one that doesn't have the holes cut, leaving it up to the installer to put the holes where they want them.  It is not clear who makes the panel though.

They claim it is correct for 1970, but can be used 1971-4 "with modifications."     The details mention the "modification" as cutting the hole.      Did some of these leave the factory with no holes cut?    I vaguely remember seeing some mopars back in the 80s where the owner hacked some access holes for the shocks that did not look factory.   I could be thinking of something else though...  been too long!

RacerX

Since it is a two person job, we introduced the wife to the "old school" window glass removal system...

One person inside, the other outside, and trying to coordinate movements.

Someone on another thread mentioned cutting glass out with one of those oscillating tools...   sure seems
like that would require an incredibly steady hand.   For me I think I would just cut to the chase and smack
the window with a hammer and get out the shop vac.   Result would be the same!   

The "time honored" method works pretty good.  I've never broken glass with it but does require two people
working together and pulling in the appropriate directions...