Main Menu

RTS 'Cuda Uncovered after 40 years!

Started by TheAutoArchaeologist, April 14, 2023, 08:44:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

TheAutoArchaeologist

Here we go, the RTS 'Cuda video is live!

Ryan Brutt
The Automotive Archaeologist
TheAutoArchaeologist@yahoo.com
www.barnfinds.org

ragtopdodge

poorly redone fender tag.

TheAutoArchaeologist

Ryan Brutt
www.barnfinds.org

198D13

Ryan:  Have you ever seen any other L.A. made E Bodies with an 802 SPD? I have 100076 with 818 for an SPD. I've never seen one with any date earlier than 818 from L.A.

JH27N0B

M in the VON means show car.
Presumably it is a pre production car? 
Why would this car have been built in LA? Was the car customized by a west coast shop and they provided them a pre production design validation build for it from the LA plant that couldn't be licensed to build this show car?
Maybe some of those questions are answered in the interview with Chuck Miller, I haven't had a chance to watch the whole video yet.
Oddest thing is the 9 in the fender tag VIN.  Was that a mistake as they were still finishing up some 1969 model production at the plant?

anlauto

So sad Steven never got the chance at this car  :crying:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

How do the doors open?
It would be great if the car could get reunited with the other 3.  However, they got split up after Steve J passed away.  The Duster is in the Brothers Collection, I heard the 2 Roadrunners were sold to a collector in NJ, along with the Diamante.  He's a known collector, but apparently not someone who takes his cars out to shows from what I've heard so they are now out of the public eye.

cudamadd

Thanks for posting enjoyed that video and history lesson. Back in the day such  a different time thank you  :australia:

198D13

Quote from: JH27N0B on April 14, 2023, 12:59:57 PM
M in the VON means show car.
Presumably it is a pre production car? 
Why would this car have been built in LA? Was the car customized by a west coast shop and they provided them a pre production design validation build for it from the LA plant that couldn't be licensed to build this show car?
Maybe some of those questions are answered in the interview with Chuck Miller, I haven't had a chance to watch the whole video yet.
Oddest thing is the 9 in the fender tag VIN.  Was that a mistake as they were still finishing up some 1969 model production at the plant?

Watch the video to get answers to your questions.

TheAutoArchaeologist

I'm going to go through the questions just in a list.  I didn't want to do 10x "quotes".

The fender tag is legit, it's the original one from the car.

I have seen one other LA built car like this, it is actually VIN 10006.  Another red six barrel car.  Currently lives around St. Louis.

It was a press car for the west coast.  They needed a six barrel car quickly when Chuck Miller got the OK to produce the car, so they grabbed it out of the press fleet out there.

Yes, it suck Steve never found this car.  He met the owner, but never found where the car was hidden.

The doors open with that little push button on the outside of door.

You know what would be cool, if the owner of the other Promo Cars brings them all to MCACN soon.... like real soon... That would be cool.

Ryan Brutt
www.barnfinds.org

torredcuda

It would be cool if the owners brought these cars to Carlisle and other shows, not all of us can make MCACN.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

MoparCarGuy

1970 version paint (Greens) and 1971 Version paint (Reds/Orange) with fender tag.
It is an odd LA tag with BS23V9E100005. The only 1969 E-Body?

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: MoparCarGuy on April 14, 2023, 07:44:06 PM
1970 version paint (Greens) and 1971 Version paint (Reds/Orange) with fender tag.
It is an odd LA tag with BS23V9E100005. The only 1969 E-Body?

I know of one other car that has that, it's vin BS23V9E100004 and it resides around St. Louis.
Ryan Brutt
www.barnfinds.org

MoparCarGuy

I would like to know if there could possibly be a broadcast sheet or two still in the car. Glovebox top or inside a seat back?

cuda hunter

Asking for the world now.  Preproduction, LA, early build, aftermarket custom do up. 
What are the chances of a build sheet with that car.   

Probably the coolest E body ever made.   All situations considered. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee