Main Menu

71 Cuda NZ

Started by Tony 73, May 30, 2020, 02:15:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Tony 73

I did paint my 4 speed but was wrong one  :huh: I failed to notice and also forgot that the 4 speed in question had to go into my roadrunner and the one in the RR was to go in the Cuda due to it having the rear mount on end of tail shaft.
Took RR out, got it rebuilt ( front bearing slogged out), guy hot tanked housings and then clear coated, I polished up the the bell housing. Am waiting on a package of parts for USA that includes the pilot bearings I require. Should all work out  :)

Had the panels reprimed 2 months ago and have been sanding them. Got colour on the doors and trunk lid  :banana:

Still have not put headlining in.

Been helping Nephews with 65 Valiant , got engine in yesterday.

Tony 73

Friend gave me a hand to put headliner in the 65 Valiant, 8 bows, what a big job, 2 person job for sure.

Gave me the confidence to attack mine today and am very happy with result.  :cooldance:. Just need to finish area around sail panel. Do that when I get sail panels tidied up.

Been working on my roadrunners  new 4 speed, old ones going in Cuda because it has the rear mount. Had to shorten the input shaft by 10mm and install a roller bearing in crank. Flywheel was getting re surfaced today.

Tony 73

On a roll.
Unwrapped new dash pad and made stand.

Tony 73

Just doing a few small jobs on Cuda, gas tank in tomorrow hopefully.

Been spending time on my roadrunner, gearbox in and passed its Govt. check to get back on road. Had  drive in weekend, do enjoy driving stick.

Nephews valiant been taking up most of my time, interior nearly finished , turned it over today so hope to get it running tomorrow. Brother, 3 nephews and I couldn't resist trying it out for size.

YellowThumper

Those early Valiants are the ugliest cars ever produced.
Yet I do love their looks and would definately own one.

Great pic.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on September 08, 2020, 06:54:35 AM
You're going to paint your transmission orange ? That's unique  :smile:
Not as unique as you might think.
It will be just like mine!   :lookatthat:
Excellent choice Tony!
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

Tony 73

Cheers for the feedback guys  :)

The body style is growing on me too, think once we get the surf board on top I will be sold.

Got more panels on so looking more like a car. still having trouble starting it even though it was a runner when we pulled it apart. Starter motor very slow, even with brand new battery.

Got my headliner trim painted and working on the dash.

got my gas tank in and valance fitted.

dodj

'cuda is looking good Tony. Long way from your road trip posts on CC.Com:twothumbsup:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

Did you check your grounds with the new paint? How is your engine to chassis ground, it's been awhile (only 40 years!) since I had my 71 but didn't the 71's have a ground from the firewall to the engine?
Sheldon

Tony 73

Hi dodo, yea only seems like a few months ago but been over 2yrs since that trip, mate and I had fun, just had a look a couple of old photos and saw a empty shell and piles of parts. I am getting close but these small jobs are taking  time. Still having fun.

Cheers RUNCHARGER, yes have checked and cleaned every ground and power point. Mate said to take spark plugs out and starter did turn over quicker but must have a short because the Field/Ignition box produced smoke. May have to call an auto electricition . Frustrating that Valiant was a runner before we pulled apart.

Would love to get engine in Cuda but waiting on a pilot bearing for back of crank.

Might get my Mum to help with seat cover kit.

dodj

Ya, those bits and pieces to finish the car take a LOT longer than a guy might think. But you have come a loooong ways in the two years. Some people take over a decade to do the job.
You will be  :burnout: before you know it.

cudamadd

Ya mate great job very very  good process .and looks fantastic.And the valiant it has my thumbs up cheers  :australia:

Tony 73

Hi mate, I like your attitude , doing a burnout sounds fun, summer here is on the run and I want to hit the highway.

I get up on my car days and have a big list of things I think I can get done, and come dinner time I have ticked off 3  :D,all good things take time they say.

I am fortunate I have other cars to drive so am happy with the Cuda pace. When I did my Challenger up I was crazy with how much time I spent on it.

Just done bit of research on my valiant issue and on Slant 6 forum it said have excellent grounding between regulator and firewall, my nephew painted all relays / regulators and bet we got BAD groundings, looks like this afternoons job.

My mate is just finishing his 29 pickup project that he has been working on for 12 plus years, so yes I got to be very happy with my 2 year cuda/valiant effort.

usraptor

I just found this tread so first of all  :welcome: from Utah.  I admire you're dedication to come to US and drive across country just to get your car.  Great job so far.  It's really coming along nicely.  :twothumbsup: