Main Menu

72 Challenger Is Back

Started by 71vert340, November 12, 2022, 06:24:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

Painted the engine bay the red color my grandson likes. Also picked up a 1970 R/T hood for free. Trying to get some dents out of it. It looks like someone took a ballpeen hammer to it. Lots of studs welded to pull the dents out.
Terry W.

71vert340

Painted the trunk and front floorboard and under dash cowl area. Found a couple of areas I need to do some repair on. Since the inside is hidden under carpet and behind panels, it doesn't need to be perfect. I remember now why I hate to do a color change on a car.
Terry W.

dodj

I'm a little late to the thread here. Nice job! Love threads where people are working with what they have or can trade for etc rather than just ordering up $25K in new parts and assembling all new stuff.
Back in Feb you asked about your harness and got no replies. To relieve the battery charging load on the B/H connector I would run a separate large gauge wire from the alt to the battery bypassing the B/H altogether (fuse it). I would then also add relays for the headlights to remove that load from the B/H connector. Then if you are industrious, fit a voltmeter in place of the ammeter. You will need a voltmeter to give you some feedback on the state of your electrical system because even if you leave the ammeter connected, it won't be giving you any meaningful advice anymore.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

71vert340

A couple of more photos.
Terry W.

71vert340

Removed the driver's side front caliper to compare to the ones I got from Autozone on order for a couple of weeks. The ones that came have a lifetime warranty and say they are KH 86166 just like the one I pulled off. I was surprised. They are remanufactured (rebuilt) calipers. The caliper was difficult to get off. I had to use my weight on a breaker bar with impact socket to break the one bolt loose.
Terry W.

71vert340

Removed the rotor brake today. It's a KH rotor. I purchased new rotors to install. Using a micrometer, the KH rotor is at 0.955" thickness with a minimum thickness of 0.940" cast into rotor. The new "made in China" rotors I bought are a 1.000" thickness. Which should I use?
Terry W.

YellowThumper

The thinner they are, the faster they will heat up and possibly fail during usage.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

71vert340

I now have all the parts to convert this non original 72 Challenger to a 4 speed. The rebuilt engine and attached rebuilt auto transmission are still sitting on a pallet awaiting install. My wife votes to leave it an automatic. My grandson wants it to be a 4 speed. Once I cut the floor tunnel, there is no going back, of course. Both 71 Challengers I have are 4 speeds. Both 74 Chargers I have are automatics. Decisions, decisions. I've done this conversion on the 71 hardtop and the pistol grip shifter sticking through the floor is impressive, but just giving it gas and letting the automatic shift is nice. Hmm...
Terry W.

dodj

Quote from: 71vert340 on November 08, 2023, 03:15:17 PM
but just giving it gas and letting the automatic shift is nice. Hmm...
Terry W.
I like automatics in my sedentary grocery getter cars. Manual in a car built for fun. JMHO. :burnout:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

71vert340

Quote from: dodj on November 08, 2023, 06:40:15 PM
Quote from: 71vert340 on November 08, 2023, 03:15:17 PMbut just giving it gas and letting the automatic shift is nice. Hmm...
 Terry W.
I like automatics in my sedentary grocery getter cars. Manual in a car built for fun. JMHO. :burnout:

I must say though, 99% of all car thieves cannot drive a manual transmission car, so the odds of it being stolen and driven off are very slim. I'm rebuilding the front suspension and brakes now. I hope to install the engine in the spring and paint it near the end of summer. I'll be buying a new windshield soon. The only parts I'll be missing are front seats. I've read where the Tiburon seats are a great seat to install for comfort.
 Terry W.

7212Mopar

You already have an automatic for this car and you already got 4 speed on your 71s, seems logical to me to keep this one as auto to keep wife happy. Grandson can play with the 71s. If it is my car, I will look into an auto with OD.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Dakota

On my '70, one of the hood hinge capture nuts came loose after I removed the hood for the engine installation.  I ended up going through a lot of gymnastics to find a replacement and to get it installed.  I like your tapped steel plate idea a lot better than what I did. 

71vert340

Completed the removal of the steering/suspension parts on the driver's side. Now the fun begins.
Terry W.

71vert340

An update. The driver's side is done. Now the passenger's side. It's no good to go if you can't stop.
Terry W.

71vert340

The passenger's side is almost done. Slowly getting it back together.
Terry W.