Main Menu

Another R/T going back on the road (finally)

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, December 12, 2018, 07:34:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: JS29 on September 04, 2019, 10:55:01 AM
OMG 1.8 is for spraying serfacer primer down  :o 1.3 is what i use. If you let that cure and wet sand that with say 800 grit, and give it one nice medium coat with a 50% overlap. it will flow out like glass.  :alan2cents:

Yeah boneheaded move on my part for not checking the tip first. Good advice on the recoat. I may try that on a different surface. One that's easier to sand! The underside of that hood with all the curves is murder.

JS29

Yes under the hood is FUN!!! When i an doing a collision job i always look forward to that part. when i paint the jams on a fender or door, or do ether the hood or trunk lid, i seal and put a coat of paint on the outer skin. then wet sand it meticulously . come time for the paint job, you are half way done. less dust that way as well.   :alan2cents:

YellowThumper

Just read the entire thread. You have done awsome on it.
You sound a lot like me in regards to jumping in and figuring it out.
Hope to see you-it at one of the Flings soon.

Mike.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: YellowThumper on September 04, 2019, 09:43:33 PM
Just read the entire thread. You have done awsome on it.
You sound a lot like me in regards to jumping in and figuring it out.
Hope to see you-it at one of the Flings soon.

Mike.

Thanks! My goal is to have it at the Fall Fling in seven weeks. Not sure I'll be finished but I might take it down unfinished.

RUNCHARGER

Unfinished is great. I find a car like that more interesting than a shiny paint car as long as I'm not looking at rust and bondo.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 05, 2019, 06:55:23 AM
Unfinished is great. I find a car like that more interesting than a shiny paint car as long as I'm not looking at rust and bondo.

I kinda like that ratty look too but it's primarily heavy rust that turns me off. The two donor front fenders were in really bad shape. No rust but there were heavy deep creases here and there plus both had crunched front corners by the bezels. I just 80% worked out and I'm fitting everything to the car just to make sure it's all useable but damn they are ugly compared to the rest of the unfinished body. Looking back, I should have sold the original fenders to someone who refuses to use aftermarket metal and put that money towards a pair of AMDs.

70 Challenger Lover

The top of the hood turned out to be a lot more work than I anticipated. It was dent and wave free but when I went to block it out, it just took forever. I probably should have skimmed the whole thing but instead I skimmed only the worst area and then kept blocking with coats of sealer in between. Finally got the whole hood as flat as I can possibly make it. Shot my final coat of sealer on it today and in a few days, I'll smooth it down to 400 and put down the orange. I had hoped to be past this stage weeks ago but body work has got to be one of the least enjoyable things about working on old cars. Hasn't helped that we have had month after month of unrelenting California desert heat.

70 Challenger Lover

Just for the heck of it, I color sanded the old faded orange paint and used the buffer on it with a little polishing compound. This is about an hour or so of work. While the old paint looks so much better, it also makes the damaged areas stand out more.

JS29

Good things take time. Are you going to do the fender's as well?    :wrenching:

RUNCHARGER

That car would look great if you could paint the nose with some flattening agent and a colour match, pretty tricky though.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 14, 2019, 07:17:41 AM
That car would look great if you could paint the nose with some flattening agent and a colour match, pretty tricky though.

I was thinking that too. My low skill level would be a huge hurdle but I think it would be fun to try. There are a couple old but shallow battle scars that were badly repaired decades ago. I'd start with one of those areas. The repair would be very doable for me. It's the color matching thing I'd need help with. As it is, I have used most of the orange paint I bought. I have enough to finish the hood and probably the lower front valance. Beyond that, I'd be super lucky to get one fender done. If I had a small amount of color, could the same stuff be used for a blended patch at the back quarter? That's the ugliest one I'd try out first.

As far as doing the front fenders, that was my original plan but I also want to get back on a different project I set aside for this car. Just don't have as much room as I really need. I am probably going to clean up the ugly front fenders just a little more, toss the car on eBay to see what kind of action it gets as is. If it doesn't go, continue work over the next few weeks and then drive it to the Fall Fling to see if there are any buyers there. Buyers usually come in the spring and I expect that so then I'd spend the winter finishing the fenders and a couple other minor things so I could try in earnest come springtime.

RUNCHARGER

Yes: That's the right thing to do. You've done well making it a car again. Now someone else can take it the rest of the way if they like or maybe even just drive it as is for awhile.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

Thanks! I'm hoping I will find the right buyer who could appreciate that. Sadly, most people have a hard time looking past the surface to see how good the bones are underneath. This is very much how I would like to find a car. The next owner shouldn't have any nasty surprises typical with projects. But if it doesn't sell, won't break my heart in the least to keep it. Just need more garage space!

I think if I didn't pick up my bucket list car earlier this year, I'd be keeping this one for sure.

JS29

Base coat looks dull and flat. easy to apply and would give a good bases to work with. 

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: JS29 on September 14, 2019, 01:33:08 PM
Base coat looks dull and flat. easy to apply and would give a good bases to work with.

This one is a single stage so it goes on shiny. Could that be still made to work? I am curious to learn more and maybe experiment here. Would you still mix a flattening agent if the old is being buffed out to a high shine or does the new buff out shiny even with a flattening agent mixed in? I always assumed paint blending needed some type of clear over it to lock everything in afterward.

If I paint the hood and front valance, I should have lots of color left to experiment with some patches. I know the fenders are hideous and need love but I'd love to attempt a nice clean up of the trunk lid, door edge or quarter area. Each are eyesores but probably fairly easy to repair. It's the paint blending that is holding me back.