Main Menu

Another R/T going back on the road (finally)

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, December 12, 2018, 07:34:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

JS29

I have never buffed paint with a flatting agent added to it. blending a single stage can be done, but it is not easy to do with out experience. You turn the gun away after you cover the part you repaired. every pass you step it out farther. and thin out the last coat covering the entire panel. back in the day, after you sanded the affected area you would clean the panel with rubbing compound. then start applying the single stage.

70 Challenger Lover

Painted the top of the hood orange yesterday and f'ed it all up again. Had it hanging and my medium wet coat called for in the tech sheet was a bit too wet creating some runs.

Today, I was able to sand out the runs okay. Decided to sand the whole hood again with 400 and try shooting it again. Came out way better. Still a little orange peel but I can live with it. I figure the new owner will likely repaint the entire car anyway.

RUNCHARGER

Yeah: That is looking good, I think the fenders and hood painted will add appeal to the car.
Sheldon

JS29

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 17, 2019, 06:53:23 PM
Yeah: That is looking good, I think the fenders and hood painted will add appeal to the car.
:iagree:

70 Challenger Lover

Only problem is I'm almost out of orange paint!

70 Challenger Lover

Okay, another paint question....when I run my hand over the paint, it is nice and smooth but there are a couple tiny flakes of dust here and there. Can't see them but I can feel them with my hand. I know I could cut and buff it now if I wanted to make it even nicer and smoother but I'm satisfied with the look of this and the whole car will get repainted anyway whether by me or the new owner.

So what would a body shop do to smooth out the new paint without cutting and buffing it? If I used a polishing compound by hand, would it be enough to remove the feel of the dust flecks?

JS29

Just lightly wet sand the nubs, the fined the better. I have a finishing D/A sander, if you finish with 5000 grit you can hand rub it back to a full shine. I would give it a couple of days to cure.  :alan2cents:

70 Challenger Lover

I have quite a bit of 2000 grit paper. Would that be too aggressive?

JS29

70 Challenger Lover

After a year of work, the car is officially back on the road. Registered and insured. There are many little things still needing attention but I have other projects waiting for me and since I've decided to try and sell this RT, I knew I needed to just find a stopping point. I expect it not to sell with the ugly fenders and if need be, over the winter I'll remove them, strip and work them back into shape, and put them back on with primer sealer in and out. But for now, it's back on the road!

nsmall

Congratulations and good luck with the sale.

YellowThumper

Good luck with its sale.

Will it make appearance at the Fall Fling next month?
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: YellowThumper on September 25, 2019, 10:11:35 AM
Good luck with its sale.

Will it make appearance at the Fall Fling next month?

I might toss it on eBay first. If it sells then I wouldn't chance the trip for fear of some old lady crashing into it. My expectation is it will not sell until spring when the buyers come out so as long as runs and drives nice, then I would like to bring it out. The guy who sold it to me ten plus years ago comes to the show often as does the guy he had rebuild the motor. It would be fun to let then see what it's become.

RUNCHARGER

That looks pretty good. PM me your asking price if you wish.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

As a final update to the thread, I wanted to post that it appears the car is going to a new owner in Sweden. We are hammering out arrangements now but I'm sending him this thread link along with an invite to join the forum. I think he will find it as helpful and enjoyable as I have. Thanks for everyone's advice on the car along the way. I'm glad it will be going to someone who is going to really appreciate it.

This will free up some room on the side of my house and allow me to start a new thread on my next project. Much bigger than this one but it will be one I keep for the long haul.