Main Menu

FC7 RT SE

Started by RusTy/SE, January 16, 2017, 08:34:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RusTy/SE

Probably, but the latch would click shut with little effort.  Really adjusted the way I preferred - just lower the hood, and click, it was latched.  All this time later and I am still on the fence over adding hood pins :thinking:
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

Cuda Cody

I like hood pins.  Did you see that guy that was racing is Challenger at one of the shows and his hood came flying up.  :'(  Didn't have hood pins. 

70/6chall

I saw that pic of the Challenger with the bent up power bulge hood. Wasn't it an EV2 car, can't remember the year, but I remember commenting on the photo. I believe I mentioned something about the reason for the crumple zone on the hood. Yea! No hood pins. Thanks,   Al

RusTy/SE

Exactly. Back when I was driving my first Challenger, a 1973 Rallye, I always noticed that once passed a certain speed, the very front of the hood would always lift but the latch system never failed. 

It's why I have always considered the Plymouth e-body front end the better design of the two, with the header panel ahead of the hood.  I wish Mopar had twist off hood pins like Ford - without lanyards for a cleaner look :alan2cents:
JS29U0B

Timbbuc2

Good story, one day I will have to come visit and see your car, I am just up the road from you.
Get in, I'll drive

MEK-Dangerous

Russ,

I did the hood pin thing just to look cool.   :D

There are areas under the hood molded for hood pin drilling. You'll notice that once you get into it. I had trouble with the lanyards scuffing the paint on my hood. Even though they are plastic coated, I had problems. I learned to route the lanyards in the gap between the hood and fender and never had a problem after that.

70/6chall

I not only added the hood pins, but the whole darned power bulge hood. Being a base model '70 Challenger w/ a 6 cyl. bought the hood for $50. Needing no body work. But needing DODGE for the front, I found for $5.00, hood pins and bezels which I found for $1.00, as for the engine call outs. Used to say 383 Magnum, now says "225 MAGNUM". So it's a 6 whether the hood is up or the hood is down. Hey! Why not. I like the hood.      Thanks,   Al

Roadman

Quote from: 70/6chall on August 10, 2017, 02:43:19 PM
I not only added the hood pins, but the whole darned power bulge hood. Being a base model '70 Challenger w/ a 6 cyl. bought the hood for $50. Needing no body work. But needing DODGE for the front, I found for $5.00, hood pins and bezels which I found for $1.00, as for the engine call outs. Used to say 383 Magnum, now says "225 MAGNUM". So it's a 6 whether the hood is up or the hood is down. Hey! Why not. I like the hood.      Thanks,   Al

Man, the "225 Magnum " call outs are awesome.    :banana:       :rebelflag"

JS29

Man, the "225 Magnum " call outs are awesome.    :iagree: I love it!!!  :twothumbsup:
[/quote]

RusTy/SE

I had mailed a deposit to hold the car just before an epic winter storm hit January 1994. When I (finally) received the car sometime around Spring 1994 these items of factory literature were in the glove box along with a few items relating to the car's past Auto Insurance.

Here is the Chrysler Corporation literature along with a page from the batch I received from the Michigan Department of State showing when and for how much the car sold at Police auction March of 1993. Note the incorrect spelling of Challenger :rolleyes:

The video is from a local Detroit station - maybe from January 19, 1994?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXP6Oa4qMjI

A bit more about the Cold Outbreak of January 1994 in this link from MSU

http://geo.msu.edu/extra/geogmich/sig_weath_events.html

JS29U0B

RusTy/SE

I am still a ways from starting up on the car so in the meantime I will try to catch things up to the present.

It's been an unusual time to say the least since Carlisle 2018 what with Life's ups and downs but bear with me and grab some popcorn as I attempt to pull the story together :pixiepop: :pixiepop:

:cheers:
JS29U0B

RusTy/SE

Insurance paperwork shows a couple of variations on the correct VIN. Pre-printed in 1980 as JH29V0B230751, by 1983 the handwritten VIN had changed to JH29U0B230751.

The correct VIN shows on the Police auction paperwork, and most importantly on State of Michigan title.

From notes I have of conversations with the seller and his co-workers, I was told that Roger Zorn "...was a 'Nam Vet who had been evicted. Once when I was driving it and stopped at a store a woman came up and said that was her brother's old car." This makes sense to me; after a quick google search I came up with a short Obituary for not only Roger Zorn in 2009, but his sister Jacqueline Bonk as well in 2016.

In 1994 I sent a letter to the address on the 1980 Insurance Card 'cause you never know - but it was returned marked undeliverable. I had even obtained a set of 1994-1995 Detroit phone books from a co-worker of mine at the time who was visiting Detroit. I made a few phone calls but nothing panned out, although I did make contact with the Radiator Repair shop which had it's tag still affixed to the 956 radiator. The lady I spoke with explained that they had suffered a fire several years before and all their old records had been destroyed.

So it seems that just after his 21st birthday Roger takes possession of a Purple 440 R/T SE. By the time he is 45, the car is picked up as abandoned with him as the original and only owner to that point. By 2009, no funeral service planned and his remains donated.  :(

Semper Fi, Sir  :unitedstates:

ROGER ZORN
Obituary

May 22, 1949—August 20, 2009. Husband of Sana. Father of Bridgett, Lindsey and Alex. Brother of Jacqueline Bonk. Also survived by nine grandchildren. Roger is a veteran of the U.S. Marine Corp, Vietnam era. No Service planned. Roger donated his remains to University of Michigan/Gift of Life.
Published in The Detroit News on Aug. 26, 2009
JS29U0B

Bullitt-

:pixiepop:  Hey Russ   :wave:  Good to hear your gettin back on track.
  In the past hour it occurred to me it's time to get back after mine   :wrenching:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

RusTy/SE

Jan 9 was 50 years for the SPD, but 26 years ago Jan 10 the Bill of Sale was signed just before the Storm of the Century hit up Michigan way. Pretty basic document but I had my FC7 R/T SE.

Condition was not a priority for me so long as it had a Fender Tag and/or a Build Sheet. It checked off the boxes of what I was looking for. Plum Crazy, black vinyl top, black and white hounds tooth cloth and vinyl seats, 440-4, auto with the A36 axle package, PB, PS, and non AC.

Coincidentally, a photo of a 70 Challenger R/T SE was posted to the Dodge R/T SE fb page and I asked for permission to save it. Closest I've found so far of how mine will appear when driving again. :inlove:

Nothing is actually happening to mine, just picking up the story :pixiepop:
JS29U0B

Shoooter