Main Menu

FC7 RT SE

Started by RusTy/SE, January 16, 2017, 08:34:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Ed

Cool car. I have a70 rtse project too.  Lets swap notes lol.  I just got my Headliner because its hard to get and he only makes them once in a while.   Top banana   white and black interior  ac   disc brakes.  Im just starting on it. 

RusTy/SE

Ed, your R/T SE definitely has some cool options.

C15 translates as the Deluxe Seat Belt option, here is a thread from 2017 with some more specific information:

https://forum.e-bodies.org/interior/6/1970-challenger-c15-option-code/773/

I'm always learning something new about the SE model and how it morphs when R/T comes into the picture during 1970 model year. Add in date ranges of option availability and things can get confusing - or clear - depending on how you look at it.

For the 1971 model year, SE was dropped as a model line and became (sans Special Edition door panel inserts, SE roof emblems, and of course the tail panel trim) 
for the most part option code A78.

( Have I got a handle on it Dan?  :) )
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

RusTy/SE

Into 2006 little had changed. I took these pics of her in the back yard during that period showing how she looked the entire time.

But things were about to change :lurking:
JS29U0B

RusTy/SE

Front end shot, engine compartment, trunk, interior.
JS29U0B

RusTy/SE

Interior
JS29U0B

RusTy/SE

Interior, quarter windows.
JS29U0B

RusTy/SE

By 2002 I'd joined c-c.com and begun to learn about what I really had. But in 2003 I made the first of so many bad decisions when I came across and purchased a 1973 Challenger Rallye (JS23H3B458194) in the same combo as my own first Challenger - except it was a true 340 car. I was ecstatic but in over my head and the 73 had sold with accumulated parts for $5800 by 2005.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=13318.msg135292#msg135292

With a lump of cash but still not focused on the R/T SE I was coming home from work one day and just happened to turn my head towards Forest Hills Auto Repair literally just several blocks from the house and spotted the 67 Coronet R/T parked out front  :wowzers: :stop:  :banana:

Too late  :stop: :wowzers: :idea: :banana:

I'd known the shop - and seen the the same car on and off - for decades without much thought but this time I decided to stop and ask. It belonged to a retired Doctor Pugh and he had trusted it's servicing to the shop since new. I asked if it might be for sale and was given Dr. Pugh's phone number. I called him that afternoon and after introducing myself and why I was calling, he responded that yes he is willing to sell for $6000 firm. I agreed which was actually a good decision on my part and April 2006 I became the second owner :perfect10:

First pic is of the 73 Challenger Rallye, second is the 67 Coronet R/T. Yes I was happily out of my mind :stop: :stop: :wowzers: :handshake: :takemymoney: :banana:
JS29U0B

RusTy/SE

The Coronet was stored behind the shop for many years pretty much out of view and had 92k original miles on it all verified by the original owner; the shop had rebuilt the original motor in 1992  adding a Holley 4bbl, LD4B intake, Direct Connection cam, wrapped headers and a shift kit in the transmission - mileage on the car at the time was 90k - the rear still housed the stock 3.23 posi unit. For whatever reason the car only traveled a couple of thousand miles between 1992 and 2006

A buddy of mine rebuilt the Holley and I had a couple of replacement mufflers put on and we proceeded to 'test' it one Sunday. It pulled very strong. Several weeks later I had the occasion to punch it from a (30mph) rolling start. I dropped the column shifter from D to 1 and floored it to 45 or so before shifting to 2nd. Loud chirp and the car literally threw itself forward. I had never experienced anything like it!

I enjoyed the Coronet immensely, telling my friends about how lucky I was to find such an example. Long story short, one of those friends, Joe, worked at a small body shop owned by Gerry who is particularly fond of 66-67 B bodies. Joe planted the seed of my selling the Coronet to Jerry and using that money to finally begin work on my R/T SE. Joe also planted the seed with Jerry, who it turned out had known about the car for a very long time as well. Joe saw himself as just helping two Mopar buddies and had the best of intentions since ha managed the body shop and could properly oversee my Challenger finally getting done and on the road while Jerry added another 67 B body to his stable.

So just over 6 months after I bought the Coronet R/T, I made the deal with Gerry. One October Saturday that same year I sold him the Coronet R/T for $7500 and the next day he picked up my Challenger R/T SE and trailered it over to the body shop when these pictures were taken; the vinyl top was removed that same day and everybody was happy with the overall condition of the roof underneath.
JS29U0B

RusTy/SE

Roof and trunk
JS29U0B

RusTy/SE

Upper a-pillar
JS29U0B

Chryco Psycho

Thanks for the pictures , have you actually started to fix the body now ?

RusTy/SE

No not yet. Lots of pictures to come though. . .

JS29U0B

RusTy/SE

January 2007

The teardown begins. A fair amount of sheet metal from Sherman had been ordered to replace the larger rusted areas.

JS29U0B

RusTy/SE

Behind dash, grille.
JS29U0B

RusTy/SE

Steering column. The General Lee in the background was owned by John Schneider at the time, auctioned off several years ago.
JS29U0B