Main Menu

Hello/Colorado Springs Cuda!!!

Started by Adams1stCuda, February 04, 2018, 10:22:47 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Adams1stCuda

Have been on the forum now for a few months, but realized that I haven't really introduced myself or the car; just asked a bunch of questions :haha: 

A little back story.  So my wife's family are all die hard Mopar fans and she was raised in it.  Her family together owns four running MOPARs and has a whole storage facility/lot of other cars, engines, transmissions, etc.  Those running are a 68 Barracuda, 69 Road Runner 440, 70 Charger R/T, 65 Coronet 500...can't even name the others stored.  Her dad was previously the president of Southern Colorado Mopars and the family has been going to Mopar Mile High Nats for something like 25+ years.  Her parents, her and her brother have never owned anything other than a Mopar, so when my wife and I started dating, she said took into consideration that I owned a Jeep at the time. 

I have always been a fan of cars, but not exclusively Mopars, though they are undoubtedly my favorite classics.  Well, since I have been married, it's always been me who has gotten to have the cars I want.  Still, I have always know that as long as my wife can remember, she's loved 72+ e-body cuda's (round tails).  Last fall we were camping with family, including my wife's god father (owns a 70 AAR Cuda) and he told my wife that a common acquaintance was looking to sell his cuda and had made him a good offer, but that since he knew my wife wanted one, he'd defer to her if she wanted it.  Knowing the offer price, we went to check it out and jumped on it.

The is a 72 Cuda 340 and the previous owner is also a Mopar guy (notice the background in one of the photos below).  Car only had 107K orig miles and was running.  Engine and trans had been relatively recently rebuilt and overall was in good shape.  Car has clean title and build sheet, but no finder tag or door sticker.  Engine is matching, but trans is not.  For the price, we think we got a great deal and bought immediately.  We now have it at home and I am beginning to get it to a reliable running condition and plan on slowly improving it to a respectable clean leisure driver my wife can enjoy for a long time. 

Since I am active duty military and together we own/operation two additional small businesses, its likely going to be a slow process, but I am happy to have it to work on.

Multiple pics below...interested to know anyone's evaluation or input. 

Adams1stCuda

This was our initial look prior to buying.  Notice the other fully restored beauty in the background...

Adams1stCuda

Kept a few days at the 'rents house until we could get it home.  Think my father-in-law likes Mopars?

This is my wife's childhood (and current) dream car...she is happier than can be.  Did I mention that our cat is named Cuda?

Adams1stCuda

As she currently sits.  Have bought the tips, just need to get it in for install.  Car seat is out for some electrical work. 

Adams1stCuda

Some vehicle info.  Build sheet.  Dash and engine match.  Front end is different, but still have clean title.  Trans is also different.

71-440

That was a cool story. Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Looks like that car is in pretty good condition. Nice! :twothumbsup:

And thank you for your service to our Country! :handshake:
Joe

Jim AAR

:welcome: from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada :canada:

You have found your E-Body home, the best E-Body site in the world...

Great story, good luck on your restoration....

Cuda Cody

Thanks for sharing @Adam213   :banana:  Sweet ride.   :twothumbsup:

Adams1stCuda

Haven't been able to do much yet.  First issue was that the drivers side head was leaking antifreeze from the valve cover screw (vid attached).  Got that sealed up, then realized the car should have burned to the ground...  The car had two fuel pumps and the electric was badly wired and the switch and terminal point was melted.  Then the power wire to the pump was loosely ran and badly frayed, exposed to the frame  :unbelievable:  Pulled all of that out and leaving it with the mech pump.  Also had some badly mauled rear harness and signal switch wiring that were patched up.  Was causing some screwy light issues so I have replaced both...planning on finishing with the dash, front and engine harnesses as well.  Also the dash lights are not working and I suspect its something with or before the dimmer switch as all the path from there through the fuse block to the lights was power probe tested good.  Tried to clean up the dimmer switch contacts the best I could without disassembly but still not working.  Also think I have some issue with the horn relay wiring that I need to figure out.  Also had a good amount of some weird cat litter look/consistency stuff in the steering column when I replaced the signal switch??? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f7pz9zG_gY

moparcar

:welcome: from Erie, CO north of Denver. Great looking Cuda!

Wes

wingcarenvy

cuda hunter

Welcome!  From Salida Colorado.

Spent my teen years in Widefield.  What part are you in?

Sweet looking ride.

Even better it's originally a gb5/gb5
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

71340RT

1971 Challenger RT 340 auto 1 of 731
1973 Challenger Rallye 392 Hemi A41 4 speed automatic
2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack 392 Hemi auto

303 Mopar

Welcome and beautiful Cuda!  I'm just up I-25 from ya, and there are several CO members now.  I bought my '68 Charger from a guy in Co Springs a couple years ago, and my '69 Sport Satellite from a guy in Pueblo last year.  There seems to be a huge contingent of Mopar people in Southern Colorado.  I would like to get a chance to go to one of the Mopar events down there this summer!   :grouphug:

mopar thunder

:welcome: from Florida. Nice Cuda. I hope you have a lot of good luck with it. Looks like it is in good shape.