Main Menu

I finally got out to the garage! KUDO'S to GLEN RAY - WAITING TO FILL!!!!!

Started by BIGSHCLUNK, May 06, 2018, 10:18:54 AM

Previous topic Next topic

BIGSHCLUNK

I did a test run on the crimping tool I bought........... HATED IT! It does not roll the terminal enuff & terminal had to be pried out of the tool.  Maybe I'm not working it correctly?  What are you using?

The only really bad terminal is #18. Wire insulation did get a little hot but is 95% intact. would you splice in a fresh piece? Soldering up under the dash looks impossible, at least for my dexterity.   

RUNCHARGER

I have a few crimpers, I use a relatively small one for those. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 steps to get them just right. I have spliced in a piece before but prefer to change the whole wire if possible. Do you have a clean block to replace that one?
Sheldon

BIGSHCLUNK

1 Wild R/T

I recently bought a pair just like the ones you got.... They suck.....  I bought them to replace a pair that look very similar that unfortunately took a walk....

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 13, 2018, 09:05:37 PM
I recently bought a pair just like the ones you got.... They suck.....  I bought them to replace a pair that look very similar that unfortunately took a walk....

Thanks for the confirmation... YES THEY DO SUCK!. Now I know it's not me  :thinking:  I'm a little stalled till I figure out a replacement. Anyone want to chime in on a better alterative??

73chalngr

I did some research on crimping tools recently and discovered you need one called an open barrel crimping tool. To make the factory looking crimps. There are new wire connectors out that are solderless but I have never used one. Hope that helps. 

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on May 14, 2018, 06:21:38 AM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 13, 2018, 09:05:37 PM

Thanks for the confirmation... YES THEY DO SUCK!. Now I know it's not me  :thinking:  I'm a little stalled till I figure out a replacement. Anyone want to chime in on a better alterative??

I think I'm going to try a little detail work on the ones I bought.... They look right but the metal cutouts are a little rough... I think a little work with a set of jewelers files & a little lubrication might get them to work...

BIGSHCLUNK

That's an idea...   kinda surprised no other opinions here

BIGSHCLUNK

Got home tonite, broke out the jewelers files to clean up the new crimping tool a little. It did help with the terminal not getting as stuck in the tool, but still needed to be pried out.   

That being said I see 2 issues. I watched a few youtube videos... seems like the good crimps I saw were made with a ratcheting style crimper. Even laying one handle on the workbench I can't get enuff pressue on it to get the crimp to "roll" properly. If I cant do it on the bench I'll never do it under the dash.  I also wonder if the angle in the tool just isn't quite correct? 

Or..... are  the terminals I bought off ebay a little thicker gauge than they should be? I never even considered this but stopped by a buddy's shop today. The terminals he had looked more "brassy" as the ones I have look steel.

I've been testing w 12 ga wire/terminals. Something obvious here I'm just not seeing????  :notsure:  :notsure:  :notsure:   :headbang:

1 Wild R/T

Like I mentioned I had an old pair that "looked" like those that worked great.... But the replacements don't....  I've got probably a dozen pairs of crimpers, some ratcheting type, some very basic.... I have an old pair of Belden brand pliers that work great, they are basic pliers. unfortunately they only do larger wires, 8 ga is their smallest setting... I have a set of ratcheting Tyco brand crimpers that do the wire crimp & the insulation crimp at the same time & do both perfectly every time... But they are electronics grade & the biggest wire they do is 18 ga....  Plus they are over $300.... For the 10-16 ga range I currently have nothing that does a crimp I'm proud of....

As you mentioned the different terminals definitely crimp differently & the smaller ones can be much more difficult to get to wrap nicely.... Which is why I have the tyco crimpers, I use them for work related jobs that have to be right....   

I wonder what @Slotts  uses?

YellowThumper

Nice to see you back at it. Everyone has "life situations" at one time or another.

And as a reply for the crimper style. Yes the ratchet type is highly recommended. Unfortunately I don't have brand but it was purchased from an electronic supply store near me.

To those on the shelf on paying the pricey dollars for one. They are absolutely worth it when doing more than just a couple crimps.
Not OEM exacting crimps but are strong. The wratchet style also is very easy to crimp solidly without excessive hand strength. A bonus when doing a lot in succession.

Mike.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

usraptor

I agree that it's worth it to spend some $ and get a good set of crimpers.  Fortunately, I have an excellent set that I use to crimp fishing line with on my Long Range Trips out of San Diego that work just fine.  I figure if the the crimps will hold when a 200lb+ tuna is pulling on your line for 2 hours plus, they're just fine for crimping connections on my 'Cuda.  :yes:

BIGSHCLUNK

Thanks for the input guys. Yes I do have other crimpers but they wont work properly for Packard 56  style terminals. I took a good look at the ones from Advance Auto. To me it looks like the angles in the crimping dies are totally different than the ones I have now. So I thought WTH, ordered up a pair and got a 20% discount. Stay tuned, I should have an update by the weekend.   :thankyou:

hmmmmm ya, what does Slotts use??  :notsure:

BIGSHCLUNK

Ok now, according to UPS tracking the new crimpers should be here tomorrow! In the meantime I got a little sidetracked.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/general-topics/7/shaker-base-plate-and-holley-carburetor/6751/msg94855#msg94855

So today the ups man brought me something! Fits very nice - hits nothing (linkage/fuels lines'ect ) something else ol' BIGS needs to attend to  :bigthumb:

These cars are never done!